Out with the youngsters

Haven’t ventured more than a couple miles from home yet but been getting my 9 year old out with his young hob these past few weeks.. it’s not been easy finding, all the usual spots are dead ...and combined with a young inexperienced ferret we’ve not had much success which has been a little disheartening for my lad but it hasn’t put him off or dampened his enthusiasm any.. we’d had an unsuccessful dig last Saturday and missed a couple of bolters due to cover so we was hoping for a change in luck today.

We had 3 young hobs out today and after dogs had gave a positive mark we entered a couple..quite a big warren with 20 + holes not ideal for young ens but beggars can’t be choosers and dogs were marking strongly. Quickly had a bolt from an unseen hole..just missed by the old terrier but  we soon had a mark of 2 ft and after a steady 10 mins we broke through to my lads young albino hob ( ghost) and a couple of bunnies. .. young lad was over the moon, he carried his catch and using his new poachers ferret box kindly gifted to him by northernlite off here he was proud as punch heading back to the motor. Rugby season is over now so we can start venturing further afield for a few ferreting trips.. need to get knocking now and get him some decent permissions so we can have more days like today..

33BBB519-3A15-4A8B-A687-067972817A63.jpeg

E077DFB2-BBCE-47EF-8B1C-B39C5ED20705.jpeg

• Like 9