Finding homes for shot birds

3 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

True but you'd have thought if their out of stock and charging 38 for them and only offered you 3 which you didn't take , surely upping their offer to get some stock in and still make a handsome profit for themselves would be the next stage . They arnt making any money on them if they got none to sell .

Unless I misunderstood your original post 

Thats how business works , buy cheap ,sell dear , if they want them they will be back and then i will state my terms , never be insulted by a low bid , the market rules , it is all down to supply and demand and at this moment i can do both .

• Thanks 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How the industry and greater sport adapts to this problem will be a large factor in it's future survival! If the consumer continues to demand big days with harvesting the meat of secondary or no

Just a little off topic , in season i pick and sell a lot of the fungus called BLEWITS i usually do well in the first two weeks of November , over the last few years the market for these has diminishe

YOU WILL SELL THEM AT MELTON MARKET UP TILL XMAS AFTER THAT THEY WILL NOT GET A BID  , AT THAT TIME LAST THEY MADE TEN PENCE A BRACE BUT YOU HAD TO BUY 50 BRACE AT A TIME AND A LOT REMAINED UNSOLD

On 04/11/2017 at 23:12, tatsblisters said:

As anybody done a survey as such on why this is happening when in the early 90s you could get £4 a brace and I remember selling partridges to a game dealer nr mexbrough in s.yorks for £3 a brace in the late 80s

I would think the increase in popularity of shooting and the subsequent increase in reared game would be the reason ..the old supply and demand law comes in and with close on 35 mil released  the supply side of it is buoyant to say the least .

edited to say only around 37% of the 35mil are shot ..

2 hours ago, sussex said:

I would think the increase in popularity of shooting and the subsequent increase in reared game would be the reason ..the old supply and demand law comes in and with close on 35 mil released  the supply side of it is buoyant to say the least .

edited to say only around 37% of the 35mil are shot ..

Its just that years ago in the 70s and 80s their was always a ready market in the steel and coalmining area I live in when these industries were active and was a seasonal treat to lots of pitmen and steelworkers were you could always find willing buyers for pheasants.

In 1973 i was off work for a long time through injury i was getting £32  off the sick to keep three of us  and it  did, to pass the time i used to shoot  pheasants from the road with  a silenced 22 , i was able to sell  as many as i could get at a pound each in the feather , i would drive down the A1 and drop in to all the villages then come back on the other side and do the same one day i shot 44 and often got 20 +, you could not do it now because every one has a car and phone  but in 73 /74  me and the  Mrs  put enough away to set us up.

We used to do the same down here Micky...:yes:

Pheasants first,..then out every night on the Roe,..it was a good time to sell the game...

What the Butchers couldn't take,..the folks in nearby Leigh Park definitely could...

Truth was, we couldn't kill enough...:laugh:

• Like 1
On 11/9/2017 at 20:00, Yokel Matt said:

The BASC magazine has an article on Willow game which charges a annual retainer (or some thing like that) and then a further price per bird to guarantee an outlet for the shoot. 

Fair play to Willow game for coming up with that one but surely given all the publicity about people having to resort to food banks you’d have thought this would be a great opportunity for BASC to try and promote some sort of network to stop the waste and counter the argument that the antis seem so keen to promote!

thats the one by me mate willow game

I think at this stage with continual opposition to fieldsports in general. What we are saying here is that there is a large amount of cheap free range meat with most shoots having limited outlets and disposal of the meat being the main issue. Why aren't BASC and Countryside Alliance etc making it available to homeless shelters etc the PR aspect would be fantastic for all sports and would curtail any argument that the animal rights groups aim towards us in regards to the spin they put on game being shot on mass. It could surely be a fantastic opportunity for all fieldsports? 

A game dealer near me gave up pheasants,he blamed it on the rules,regs on disposing of the hazardous waste,ie guts.govt prob imposed fees,inspections,expensive storage facilities,safety,hygiene courses,and certs....could be bollox but sounds good.surely the feathers get sold on?

I think the clincher will be at Melton Market to-day, if there are a lot of bird in they will not make much if there are just a couple of hundred i expect them to go at a pound a brace after xmas  i think the market will collapse quicker than it did last year, game shooting is getting more popular and more and more birds are being put down , every piece of land around me seems to have a pen on it and i think the situation has reached saturation point as the public will not tolerate rearing and killing birds that are not wanted .

46 minutes ago, micky said:

I think the clincher will be at Melton Market to-day, if there are a lot of bird in they will not make much if there are just a couple of hundred i expect them to go at a pound a brace after xmas  i think the market will collapse quicker than it did last year, game shooting is getting more popular and more and more birds are being put down , every piece of land around me seems to have a pen on it and i think the situation has reached saturation point as the public will not tolerate rearing and killing birds that are not wanted .

Half the prob is the smaller shoots,what ive seen some guns are,nt fussy on sporting or not,most birds be better of at a scrap metal dealers.no one likes a wad in thier dinner

6 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Half the prob is the smaller shoots,what ive seen some guns are,nt fussy on sporting or not,most birds be better of at a scrap metal dealers.no one likes a wad in thier dinner

I am not to sure about that , i have found out that bad sportsmanship usually comes from people who are paying for the full day and want to squeeze every thing out of it ,, there is a small shoot near to me and it is between two large shoots in theory  they do not need to put any birds down just plenty of feedersbut being fair they have put 60 birds down and will limit what the take out , very old school .

2 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

I think that unfair. Smaller shoots don't tend to supply the market, they deal with all their birds themselves. The number of birds that commercial shoots are putting into the hands of game dealers totally dwarfs that from small shoots.

• Like 1