Bit of advice

Just need a bit of advice on how to get a pup started to do bushing it’s not mine it’s my little cousins but he’ll be coming out with me most of the time with my lurchers mooching and ferreting but I’ve never really done any bushing so would like some help/advice of more experienced people so  I can help him out with it? He’s got a cocker spaniel 

Start it off on some rabbit skin make sure its keen for it, then some scent on a dummy, get it finding the dummy to a command even if its just around the garden (so there no distractions) when it can find the dummy on command with confidence move out into the field with the same training but using long grass, reed beds etc eventually moving on to thicker stuff like brambles. Then take it where the bunnys are and give your command when you spot one. Should all just click in time after that. Theres plenty more ways than that to get a dog going though depends what dog it is. Thats just the way ive done it this year with a retriever.

In the past ive just skipped all that and just got them out there if its in them they do it naturally. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, harvey88 said:

Start it off on some rabbit skin make sure its keen for it, then some scent on a dummy, get it finding the dummy to a command even if its just around the garden (so there no distractions) when it can find the dummy on command with confidence move out into the field with the same training but using long grass, reed beds etc eventually moving on to thicker stuff like brambles. Then take it where the bunnys are and give your command when you spot one. Should all just click in time after that. Theres plenty more ways than that to get a dog going though depends what dog it is. Thats just the way ive done it this year with a retriever.

In the past ive just skipped all that and just got them out there if its in them they do it naturally. 

Cheers mate appreciate it

Theres a few different ways what people do but the one i find the best is just if you just keep taking him out where there's plenty of scent about the penny should drop in the end and he should start following the scent through the cover then sooner or later he should bump into something.  Atb Adam 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2017 at 20:02, Adampie8432 said:

Theres a few different ways what people do but the one i find the best is just if you just keep taking him out where there's plenty of scent about the penny should drop in the end and he should start following the scent through the cover then sooner or later he should bump into something.  Atb Adam 

That's how I've always done it .

• Like 1