A few pigeons this afternoon.

I met up with Stuart today at 1330 after he rang me to say he had found a few pigeons on a field of cut maize.We shot till 1530 and had a good couple of hours considering we started late.Stuart attracted a few rooks and crows by throwing one he shot over the top of the hide.We managed to get 30 woodpigeon,6 rooks,2 crows and 1 feral pigeon.

Image may contain: sky, nature and outdoor
Image may contain: outdoor, food and water

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2017 at 19:22, stoggy said:

Stuart attracted a few rooks and crows by throwing one he shot over the top of the hide.

This was a trick advocated by Archie Coates. This was before the advent of the flapper, either string or motorised. The bird has to be thrown out as the passing bird is kind of in a position to see the thrown bird which gives the impression of a bird coming in to land in amongst a flock of feeding pigeon. Or rooks and crows in your case. I don't generally shoot rooks because they do a lot of good eating earthworms and insects. Sometimes they do get into fallen wheat when they do need to be deterred. Crows get lead at any opportunity. I have seen a decoy pigeon that was pulled up on a cord to a branch or pole and then when let loose it slid down the cord looking like a bird gliding in to land.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

This was a trick advocated by Archie Coates. This was before the advent of the flapper, either string or motorised. The bird has to be thrown out as the passing bird is kind of in a position to see the thrown bird which gives the impression of a bird coming in to land in amongst a flock of feeding pigeon. Or rooks and crows in your case. I don't generally shoot rooks because they do a lot of good eating earthworms and insects. Sometimes they do get into fallen wheat when they do need to be deterred. Crows get lead at any opportunity. I have seen a decoy pigeon that was pulled up on a cord to a branch or pole and then when let loose it slid down the cord looking like a bird gliding in to land.

Stuart has been called Archie Coats Brierley in the past by some who have been in awe of his knowledge.:yes:

• Haha 1