Give A Punch And Take One !

I don't like the way AJ grins sadistically when he has an opponent in trouble. He should learn from Larry Holmes. Yes get the job done but show a bit of compassion if possible by indicating to the ref that you are hitting the other guy at will with nothing coming back. I know it's a big ask in the heat of battle but I really don't think Joshua does the sport any favours when he grins and then talks about wanting to knock opponents unconscious to please the crowd. Leave that to UFC etc

• Like 1

Dead 70s heavyweights: Young,Paterson,Norton,Frazier Ali,Lyle,Quarry. Others too, all before their time. Something to do with the punishment they took surely.

Young 56

Patterson 71

Norton 70

Frazier 67

Ali 74

Lyle 70

Quarry 53

Only two real early deaths,Quarry had his last bout at 47 and died 7 year later from Dementia Pugilista ( blows to head) a boxing brother of his also died of this and the other brother who also boxed died of Parkinson's,believed to have come from boxing.Youngs boxed till 39 and had drug and legal problems,his attorney said he had symptoms of traumatic brain injury due to boxing. He died of a heart attack in 2005 .

Joshua has punched opponents on the floor and pushed refs,anybody else would have been disqualified. Being the next big thing , having a big promoter behind you and being a massive money maker does seem to have its merits .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2

Dead 70s heavyweights: Young,Paterson,Norton,Frazier Ali,Lyle,Quarry. Others too, all before their time. Something to do with the punishment they took surely.

Young 56

Patterson 71

Norton 70

Frazier 67

Ali 74

Lyle 70

Quarry 53

Only two real early deaths,Quarry had his last bout at 47 and died 7 year later from Dementia Pugilista ( blows to head) a boxing brother of his also died of this and the other brother who also boxed died of Parkinson's,believed to have come from boxing.Youngs boxed till 39 and had drug and legal problems,his attorney said he had symptoms of traumatic brain injury due to boxing. He died of a heart attack in 2005 .

Joshua has punched opponents on the floor and pushed refs,anybody else would have been disqualified. Being the next big thing , having a big promoter behind you and being a massive money maker does seem to have its merits .

How many opponents has AJ punched on the floor and how many Refs has he pushed?

How many opponents has AJ punched on the floor and how many Refs has he pushed?

He punched Airich whilst he was sitting on the floor.

He started punching Kisicek after the ref stopped fight and had to be dragged away.

He shoved Howard Foster away at the end of the Dillian Whyte fight.

Two of my favourites from that era where Jerry Quarry and George Chuvalo...not the best of their time but two deep game and tough individuals...a couple of things to keep in mind about Quarry's dementia is that he fought from a very early age and hardly ever wore a head guard when sparring...he also had a bad coke problem which burnt his septum out...not saying these would be the cause...but neither would of helped...Chuvalo on the other hand went in with all the top names of the day including Ali twice (before and after his ban) and was never KO'd... is a pretty healthy and together 80yr old...and has proved to be just as game and tough in life out of the ring...Holmes I was never a fan...maybe hard to get the Ali fight out of my head...I enjoyed seeing Tyson smash him to be honest...before the fight Tyson says Ali whispered "get him!" in his ear...so not a lot of love lost between him and Holmes...all well and good crying crocodile tears when your cashing the check

Maybe I'm cynical...but...the ref jumping in when he did Saturday night came across more about not having the shine taken off Joshua's hype by Takam taking him the distance and spoiling his 100% KO record...than it did about protecting Takam who was going the full 12rds

• Like 2