Any Beginner Bird Suggestions?

hedge wanderer

TBH that's not too far, could probably get bus there. What I meant by not asking a local falconer I know in relation to the question of beginners birds is that it's going to be a biased answer which today is normally "get a Harris, they're 'easy' ( which is what puts me off, it makes the whole idea of being a falconer seem easy)". By asking on here you get a wider range of responses. By questions I'd need to ring up for, I mean once I've got said bird, I.e do u think I'm on the right path?, do you think their weight needs dropping a bit more?, where are the best areas to get a regular supply of good food?, them sort of things

I think we are in same boat fella, differences being I dont have anyone to call BUT have a club that meets 8miles away so I can get into it that way. The thing i picked up was get a harris thwy are easy. I dont think that is the case at all. Thats why Im readin and goin to first club meetin soon.

TBH mate the Bloke who used to fly Harris hawks no longer has them. Couldn't find the time for them, he works on the rigs I think? So I'm just bobbing from place to place trying to find People here and there who'll let me tag along haha. I've put adds onto Facebook just asking if anyone needed an extra set of hands with their birds. Got some good feedback. Even had one bloke say if I could make up to to north Scotland he'd let me help with his long wings and that haha. Too far for me tho. Might be worth a try for you my friend

ATB

Edited by hedge wanderer

TBH that's not too far, could probably get bus there. What I meant by not asking a local falconer I know in relation to the question of beginners birds is that it's going to be a biased answer which today is normally "get a Harris, they're 'easy' ( which is what puts me off, it makes the whole idea of being a falconer seem easy)". By asking on here you get a wider range of responses. By questions I'd need to ring up for, I mean once I've got said bird, I.e do u think I'm on the right path?, do you think their weight needs dropping a bit more?, where are the best areas to get a regular supply of good food?, them sort of things

Are you reliant on public transport? I apologise if I've misunderstood or you have future plans of transport, but you need a car before you get a hawk.

Don't underestimate the land you will need to do a hawk justice. Unless you have miles & miles of land on your doorstep heaving with game, you will have to travel to alternate the spots you hunt.

I'm not trying to be a prick about this, but you can't rely on other people either. I used to have a great piece of land on my door step, that I just walked across the road to. I killed alot of game there, but there's no way that would of sustained me throughout a whole season!

Just another thing to consider. Atb

Well I apologize I don't have the money to pay for car insurance or anything. I get a lift to my shooting permission almost every weekend where there is a good few well asserted rabbit warrens with pheasants coming in here and there. I have permission to shoot on other neighboring farms which are closer, just a 5 minute walk. My permanent permission is the grounds of an old manor house so you can imagine the size. Even if I could drive, it's far cheaper to get the bus into the centre of town for the falconry club meetings. You weren't thinking I was planning on getting a bus with a hawk??

ATB

Edited by hedge wanderer

Well I apologize I don't have the money to pay for car insurance or anything. I get a lift to my shooting permission almost every weekend where there is a good few well asserted rabbit warrens with pheasants coming in here and there. I have permission to shoot on other neighboring farms which are closer, just a 5 minute walk. My permanent permission is the grounds of an old manor house so you can imagine the size. Even if I could drive, it's far cheaper to get the bus into the centre of town for the falconry club meetings. You weren't thinking I was planning on getting a bus with a hawk??

ATB

No need to apologise mate, but getting set up properly with a decent mews, equipment, telemetry, food & hawk is not peanuts, it will cost about 2k or more, I've just spent about 4k building a new mews & it's still not quite how I want it! Haha...

Sorry I can't imagine how big the land is to your manor house, they vary so much, from 10 acres to several hundred acres. I had permission round a few myself & I was still looking for more land all the time. You can over hawk a relatively small area quite quickly. The quarry soon gets cute ;-)

Don't kid yourself mate, I've been there & had mad ideas about what I will do & tried all the tricks to cut corners & save money, ultimately you will find your attempts lacking if you don't get everything or most things in place at the beginning & I guarantee you that includes your own transport.

Just friendly advice, not trying to put you down or anything ;-)

Edited by Accip74

That's why I'm curious on different suggestions for first birds so I have an idea on the kind of mews I need to construct. Know how to make jesses, anklets and that, fitted a barn owl and a few kestrels some moons ago. If I was to take up a long medium size longwing I'd simply have them tied to their perchs like some people recommend for long wings ( in order for them not to damage feathers) but utilize a good quality shed that both insulates and ventilated (came into a chance of having one) and build an extra flight pen for maybe a broad wing as I've heard that is better for some birds

ATB

Oh and btw of long wings, I was thinking of one as even if no hunting slips were to be found as often as I would like at least I could fly them to the lure to keep them occupied and fit as apposed to a broad wing going back into its mews. This is the style of mews I was thinking of?? (Off a kestrel page on Facebook)

ATB

post-107227-0-76072500-1509103402_thumb.jpg

Edited by hedge wanderer