Two Up One Down

Decided on a little run out as the wind was getting up.
Five minute walk to first field , dog is not happy , bit of a shiver on , cold wind. Into the field, one too close to the hedge and leave it alone. Next field one hops in just as we switch the lamp on. Get the feeling it's going to be one of those nights. Through the crappiest gateway to the edge of the next field, one sat out. Hiss away and it's on, turns it once, back towards the hedge and she goes to strike as it hits. A big bang and she is yelping. Lamp off and she is screaming and back to me, quick look over and nothing obvious, just winded. Calm her , let her rest and onto the next field. Caught my wellies on the wire ( thankfully not the new Hunter's ) and nothing more than five yds from the hedge. Deciding whether to call it as to reach anything else is a good trek with the wind direction. Dog is keen and think sod it. A good walk through flooded fields ( next to a river ) and it's not looking good. A field that normally holds half a dozen can't see anything. Walk right up to the hedge and just pick up a set of eyes in the field. A downwind walk up and she sees it squatted and trots up, It breaks and off it goes, thought it was going to hit the hedge but she runs between and it stupidly turns back into the field. Grass is long and it has to jump to keep going. She nails it and one in the bag. Three more fields checked but sheep in and very wet so call it a night . A lot of walking for one rabbit but dog is still on a high and I'm happy. Need to start getting further afield as just not enough to get more than a few runs local.

Sounds like shes coming on great fella, havent started mine yet on the lamp, went out for a wander a week or so ago with the big dog to see what was about the rabbit population is right down From last year and theyre clued up already,on the plus side their bigger friends have bred well this year just hope they have another good year of breeding for when shes ready for them, Ill be traveling out Sunday to give her ago on some new land with plenty of green bunnies as shes more than ready for a good night

Atb TeDuke

• Like 1

Sounds like shes coming on great fella, havent started mine yet on the lamp, went out for a wander a week or so ago with the big dog to see what was about the rabbit population is right down From last year and theyre clued up already,on the plus side their bigger friends have bred well this year just hope they have another good year of breeding for when shes ready for them, Ill be traveling out Sunday to give her ago on some new land with plenty of green bunnies as shes more than ready for a good night

Atb TeDuke

thanks mate, very little more than 5yds from cover in the daytime and no ferrets yet so night walking it is for now. Had 9 now so getting to know the basics. Still makes some easy mistakes but has to learn . Couldn't be happier with her when on her own though very jealous when out with the terrier. Like a different dog.