Deer Rta

On my way home last night I had to stop as the road was blocked in both directions by police cars. A deer was laying half across the central reservation, presumably hit by a car and I saw a civilian shooter put the beast out of its misery. Once the deed was done, 2 coppers picked it up and put it in the boot of this guy's 4x4.

Is it normal practice for the shooter to keep the carcass?

Nothing new, cops have no way to dispose of it, and would have to use the services of a vet or similiar, so if the guy offered to dispose of it they would take the offer gratefully, and rightly so, he's obviously trusted enough to be on their dispatch list, why spend public money getting rid of said carcass if the shooter offers.

I cleared a munt in town one evening after been hit by a car, I was in my Landy, wellies etc etc, they took one look and said "can you deal with this" it fed my dogs for a few days ?

I get called out to deal with deer related RTA's for the police and yes you get to dispose of the carcass , not that there any good for much , most are smashed up to the point were they can't move , hence the call out .Most of mine are collected by contractors and burnt ..there's only so much dog meat you can keep or give away ..

As said cops wont touch it , they will put it at the side of the road and the council will get a call to pick it up so its no skin off there nose if the guy takes it , the bit i dont get is somebody shooting it they would normally call a vet to give it a lethal injection

As said cops wont touch it , they will put it at the side of the road and the council will get a call to pick it up so its no skin off there nose if the guy takes it , the bit i dont get is somebody shooting it they would normally call a vet to give it a lethal injection

The police in Sussex have a warden scheme were they can call on people on the scheme to come out a put the injured animal down ..saves them having to get a vet out at night and all the charges that would incur not to mention the time involved to get it done , i do a ten mile radius of were I live sometimes I will go a bit further if no one else is available .Just lately most have been within a couple of miles at most and some within 800yds from my door ..There is obviously paperwork to fill out with every call !

The police in Sussex have a warden scheme were they can call on people on the scheme to come out a put the injured animal down ..saves them having to get a vet out at night and all the charges that would incur not to mention the time involved to get it done , i do a ten mile radius of were I live sometimes I will go a bit further if no one else is available .Just lately most have been within a couple of miles at most and some within 800yds from my door ..There is obviously paperwork to fill out with every call !

If you don't want to answer no problem . But just out of curiosity more than anything , do you get compensated for your time?

If you don't want to answer no problem . But just out of curiosity more than anything , do you get compensated for your time?

No mate , it's voluntary. Some schemes pay expenses ours don't ..

Was on it once but asked to be removed . Pretty much every weekend a call out with the other chap not doing his fair share

There's about forty people on the scheme , every one does a radius from there house , mine is ten miles , so every thing just about overlaps to give cover especially in the black spots ( 200+deer related RTA's ) around the Ashdown forest . You can go weeks and weeks without a call then do two in day ..busy time is when the youngsters start moving and now with the rut on , saying that it's been quite so far ..

• Like 1

Handy if you have a bit freezer space ?. the car might mangle the deer up but there's going to be some salvageable ?.

I've only got one dog to feed now , and all the ones I've tried salvaging are just a bloody great bruise mate , I end up with a pile of snot , skin and bone that by the time I spend disposing of it it's just not worth the agg ..Mates who say they'll have them only ever take the one ..they soon realise by the time they gralloch skin and butcher and then get rid of all the bits left over ( gralloch, skin, head, feet bone and jellyfied flesh) it really isn't worth the effort ....I probably have eight to ten a year that I take home that the council then pick up for incineration..

I get heads and legs of a mate and the dogs cant get enough of them . It sounds a great scheme but i don't know if theres any local but i prefer staying under the radar , i get enough grief phoning the police for a job number when i go out :laugh: