Wet & Windy

After a week off due to one thing and another off we went this morning, when I left my house at 5am the weather was still and damp,when we got going it was foggy and that rain that wets you through, as the van pulled into our parking spot the rain hit the windscreen and the ever present wins made it's presence known, we must have a screw lose somewere, but if it's in you there's not a lot you can do put collar the ferrets up, don appropriate clothing head down and get going, after all you'll not catch them sat in the van! So off we went to carry on to where we left 2weeks since. Today the lurcher would really prove her worth with very little out and about due to the wind and rain, it wasn't long before her nose was firmly stuck down an inhabited warren....... Here we go, longnets round and a quick 3 in the bag, as I was lifting the net she had done her trademark trick and found another bunny at home, rabbit number 4 was soon accounted for, unbeknown to me the next warren was to a cracker, lurcher marking at 3 different holes, things were looking good,all 3 ferrets in 2 Jill's and a big strong hob, 2 were out quickly, no sign of the hob so a quick swep with the locator found him at 18" an easy dig down, broke through to 3 rabbits all tucked in tightpost-19879-0-90766300-1508005581_thumb.jpgpost-19879-0-65661500-1508005615_thumb.jpg once I had back filled and sorted things out we were back in business 10 more to add to the tally and still it rained and still the wind blew, still the lurcher marked holes, she was really struggling to here the subterranean thunder which was taking place under our feet, her ears like satellite dishes straining to hear the slightest sound due to the ever present windpost-19879-0-52264600-1508005976_thumb.jpg. I picked 3s and 4s up throughout the day, I'd filled 2 game carriers up so taking into account of the weather was pleased with how my ferrets had worked and more so the lurcher, she marked 100% caught a few bolters so I was chuffed with the days total of 21.post-19879-0-38523500-1508006205_thumb.jpg . I made my way back to the van just a little wet!post-19879-0-16482300-1508006291_thumb.jpg cheers til next time Neil b

• Like 11

After a week off due to one thing and another off we went this morning, when I left my house at 5am the weather was still and damp,when we got going it was foggy and that rain that wets you through, as the van pulled into our parking spot the rain hit the windscreen and the ever present winds made it's presence known, we must have a screw lose somewere, but if it's in you there's not a lot you can do but collar the ferrets up, don appropriate clothing, head down and get going, after all you'll not catch them sat in the van! So off we went to carry on to where we left 2weeks since. Today the lurcher would really prove her worth with very little out and about due to the wind and rain, it wasn't long before her nose was firmly stuck down an inhabited warren....... Here we go, longnets round and a quick 3 in the bag, as I was lifting the net she had done her trademark trick and found another bunny at home, rabbit number 4 was soon accounted for, unbeknown to me the next warren was to a cracker, lurcher marking at 3 different holes, things were looking good,all 3 ferrets in 2 Jill's and a big strong hob, 2 were out quickly, no sign of the hob so a quick swep with the locator found him at 18" an easy dig down, broke through to 3 rabbits all tucked in tight image.jpg image.jpg once I had back filled and sorted things out we were back in business 10 more to add to the tally and still it rained and still the wind blew, still the lurcher marked holes, she was really struggling to here the subterranean thunder which was taking place under our feet, her ears like satellite dishes straining to hear the slightest sound due to the ever present wind image.jpg. I picked 3s and 4s up throughout the day, I'd filled 2 game carriers up so taking into account of the weather was pleased with how my ferrets had worked and more so the lurcher, she marked 100% caught a few bolters so I was chuffed with the days total of 21. image.jpg . I made my way back to the van just a little wet! image.jpg cheers til next time Neil b

good day you had there then mate and looks like it was worth all the effort in the end..

a mate and I managed to get 11 hard earnt rabbits the other day from some permission that we've left alone now for a good few years, be out again tommorow can't wait.. atb

Well done Neil :clapper:

I hate ferreting in the high wind,..so do most ferreting dogs...

Last time I was out in a gale, there were rabbits bolting all around us,... the poor old dog couldn't hear anything...

This prevented her lightning-fast reflexes helping her snatch bolters in the first few yards,..she really had to earn her corn..

Wind turns a simple task, into a fecking nightmare job... :censored:

Last time I was out in a gale, there were rabbits bolting all around us,... the poor old dog couldn't hear anything...

This prevented her lightning-fast reflexes helping her snatch bolters in the first few yards,..she really had to earn her corn..

The wind is constant there Phil, we have never been when it's not windy the poor dog is that tuned in a leaf blowing or net moving has her up and at em.

The wind is constant there Phil, we have never been when it's not windy the poor dog is that tuned in a leaf blowing or net moving has her up and at em.

Nice one Neil.

I was at em on Saturday and the weather almost had me beat. The wind is a constant battle all season, But when the rain adds into the factors it just becomes very unpleasant. I don't mind a good old dig.But I am the 1st to admit I hate digging in the rain.By the time I packed up I was looking like a Mud wrestler !