How Much Collie Is To Much

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally,...I like all the various herding composites, been around them since I was very young,..and now I am very old   As for their usage,..well,..only a fool keeps a dog that cannot do the job

What I've found over the years is that people who don't like collie in a dog normally struggle with training them ... something to do with the dog being more intelligent than them lol .......

For me they suit me, I like there temperament the way they work there looks i.e. statue, coat, feet, bone, head, and brains, all these I rate very highly in a dog, has I,ve got older my thoughts an

Posted Images

What I've found over the years is that people who don't like collie in a dog normally struggle with training them ... something to do with the dog being more intelligent than them lol .......

• Like 10

Fa me with any base type it has to be according to the land ,fast ground slow ground ,pick what suits but generation types do offer that little bit of diversity in the welps choose wisely and accordingly if thymes a thick man choose a hounds type if these like the brain to teach the animal lots of disciplines like beating water and stalking etc choose the foreward welp in my case I like a brain to work with ,odd ones pop up with the full package .atb bunnys

Horses for courses imo. I've got a half cross here, he's a gentle sort, lacks a gear for lamping and will only ever be any good for mooching and ferreting small stuff but at this stage in my life he suits me well. He's quick to learn, easy to train, has a nose like a spaniel and I can take him anywhere and not have a worry. My other dog has bull and beddy in him and is the complete opposite, fearless, will try whatever I point him at, touchy around other dogs, and much harder to keep in line.

If I was in my 20's or 30's again the old dog would suit me down to the ground but at my age I'll take the collie x and the easy life.

• Like 2

How much collie is to much. I've seen a few clips on YouTube recently of people working a 3/4 collie. For me 1/2 would be enough. What's people's opinions

:hmm: Personally,...I like all the various herding composites, been around them since I was very young,..and now I am very old :laugh::laugh:

As for their usage,..well,..only a fool keeps a dog that cannot do the job for which it is intended,..so, as a one time catcher of rabbits, I always favored the genuine half crosses, a purpose-bred mix twixt Herder and Greyhound...I found that daily usage seemed to mess up the more physical types. I have used fast, streamlined powerhouse coursing dogs on the rabbit job and nothing much escaped their fabulous agility and natural talents. However, looking back through my extensive diaries, I find that overall, the chunkier, sturdy, more cobby style of hedgerow /woodland hunter always lasted me longer. Nowadays, I only mouch around, taking a rabbit here and a pheasant there, so my preferred choice is even more collified and the size has been further reduced with the inclusion of whippet blood. Perhaps only suitable for the roustabout, occasional hunting man,..but still endowed with more than enough sheepdog savvy to keep me entertained...

So,..the choice of how much collie a man requires in his chosen canine pal,..is entirely a personal matter,..as are most things in the wonderful world of lurchers.... :thumbs:

post-25-0-32283400-1507722343_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Interesting thread for me, great to read all the lads that have good experience of collie blood lurchers.

I have to admit a pal of mine had on and I hated the f***ing thing, it would pull like a c**t on the slip, had a complete mind of its own, would pick and choose runs etc.......really put me off them before I had any experience of others.

That said, Stabs had a really nice collie type that I liked and he still has that blood today I beleive and they have proved themselves in the Aussie bush.

Over here there are a hell of a lot of collie blooded lurchers which sort of narrows down my choices because I still can't get over the feeling that they are not for me......in a lurcher at least.

All that said, I have a collie/spaniel mongrel sitting in the yard now that came wandering up the drive one day as a little pup and has been here ever since and she is a brilliant little dog helping with cattle and sheep.

I know she will be here forever.......but would I want a dog as clever as that for things I want to do with a lurcher?.......no, I don't think I would.

• Like 3

a 1/4 plenty in any lurcher x, you still get brain, but that bit extra bit of speed always come in handy , and you dont get that manic/ sensitive temp, like you do with dogs with 1xs , thats what i found, if i ever wanted a colliex again it would be a 1/4 collie x running dog..!!

• Like 2

The best dog I ever saw in 35 years was a border beardie cross grey. I have spoken about that dog before on here and of all the dogs I have seen it was the one I would dearly have loved to own.

Each to their own but if you can understand the primitive qualities that collies possess and the way in which their obsessive nature can be trained to your advantage then you will never want a dog without some collie in it. But if you don't understand them then they are not the dog for you.

Edited by beast
  • Like 6

think.I've heard tat before somewhere and think.it is alot of piss lol