Can't Decide On A Fox Calibre

I'd say see what's about and get the best deal and cheapest ammo option, all the above (except catty) will do the job, Atb Joe

Damn. The catty seem financially viable!

I'd be getting 2nd hand and that puts me off the 22-250 even more due to being labelled "barrel burners"

As far As cost of a rifle 2nd hand and ammo goes the .223 wins.

The fact that I'm only getting one out of necessity, is a big factor.

Farmer says just get rid of the big dog foxes if I see one. Doesn't want them annihilated just kept on top of. I suppose come lambing season it'll be a different story. But shelling lots for something that may not get used much doesn't make sense. Which is why I think.223. Less expensive to but on the used market and slightly cheaper ammo.

I'd stick with the .22lr but it's just not capable at the range I see em.

If you don't want the cost of rifle and ammo, invite somebody along with an open ticket to shoot them for you, you never know you may get some shooting ect in return

My friends who shoot have plenty land and do invite me regularly so that's not really incentive or issue.

I use a 22-250 for fox I used hornady 55grain vmax very capable round as are all the other calibers mentioned it's up to you as you know your land a from your replies you seem grounded and sensible so I'll explain my choice. I too went through same which caliber phase my choice came after speaking to a older country gent who pointed out the same points as some already have judgment of distance with the flat flying round that carries a lot of energy at further ranges. I now reload due to costs but if as you say only getting the odd one or two every now and then I paid £22 per 20 once zeroed in you Won't go through that many. I have never had a runner with this caliber it hits where I put the crosshairs and the energy transfer from balistitc tips is amazing

My main goal is a quick dispatch in the safest possible way.

As I said before they do have a caravan site with people frequenting it so having a slightly quieter crack is ideal.

Again. I do like the idea of less dicking about with hold over/dialing in. But worry about second hand 22 250 being knackered. I really only want to spend about £600 on rifle and mod. In which .223 comes in nicely. Not seen too many 22 250 in good nick for that (as yet)

Depending on what make of rifle you want, York guns do a Baikal break barrel .223 for under £300 my pal has one and is more than capable of 200 yd foxes............cheap knock about rifle that does the job......... and luckely for him the rifle he chose likes ppu ammo @ £13 a box

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many people are FORCED to shoot foxes at 250yards average distance, there are commonly ways to get closer or get the fox closer.   I take the occasional opportunist fox out there but generally,

I absolutely love my .22-250 and haven't had any complaints yet lol.

Think about whether you are going to reload or not.   I use a Tikka T3 in .204 ruger with hornady superformance 32g v-max. Great foxing combo IMO.

Posted Images

I'd say see what's about and get the best deal and cheapest ammo option, all the above (except catty) will do the job, Atb Joe

I'd be getting 2nd hand and that puts me off the 22-250 even more due to being labelled "barrel burners"

Farmer says just get rid of the big dog foxes if I see one. Doesn't want them annihilated just kept on top of. I suppose come lambing season it'll be a different story. But shelling lots for something that may not get used much doesn't make sense. Which is why I think.223. Less expensive to but on the used market and slightly cheaper ammo.

If you don't want the cost of rifle and ammo, invite somebody along with an open ticket to shoot them for you, you never know you may get some shooting ect in return

My friends who shoot have plenty land and do invite me regularly so that's not really incentive or issue.

I use a 22-250 for fox I used hornady 55grain vmax very capable round as are all the other calibers mentioned it's up to you as you know your land a from your replies you seem grounded and sensible so I'll explain my choice. I too went through same which caliber phase my choice came after speaking to a older country gent who pointed out the same points as some already have judgment of distance with the flat flying round that carries a lot of energy at further ranges. I now reload due to costs but if as you say only getting the odd one or two every now and then I paid £22 per 20 once zeroed in you Won't go through that many. I have never had a runner with this caliber it hits where I put the crosshairs and the energy transfer from balistitc tips is amazing

As I said before they do have a caravan site with people frequenting it so having a slightly quieter crack is ideal.

Again. I do like the idea of less dicking about with hold over/dialing in. But worry about second hand 22 250 being knackered. I really only want to spend about £600 on rifle and mod. In which .223 comes in nicely. Not seen too many 22 250 in good nick for that (as yet)

Depending on what make of rifle you want, York guns do a Baikal break barrel .223 for under £300 my pal has one and is more than capable of 200 yd foxes............cheap knock about rifle that does the job......... and luckely for him the rifle he chose likes ppu ammo @ £13 a box

I was looking at howa 1500 or tikka t3. A Remington mk11 also. I suppose it depends what's about when/if my variation is granted

Took the words from my mouth.....

My choice 22.250, but .223 is also fine.

Both of the above are easy to get factory ammo for, usually with a choice of bullet weights and type/makes.

That alone is a major thumbs up in my opinion.

Plenty of rifles out there as well all the 'majors' do both calibres.

Also reloading is the next step for any centrefire shooter, I've owned and reloaded both, the 22.250 is bigger

the cases are more robust, and large rifle primed. the .223 is smaller, thin cased and small rifle primed, so

from my experience it's a no brainer 22.250 with 55gr hollow points or Hornady red tip V Max.

• Like 1

My choice 22.250, but .223 is also fine.

Both of the above are easy to get factory ammo for, usually with a choice of bullet weights and type/makes.

That alone is a major thumbs up in my opinion.

Plenty of rifles out there as well all the 'majors' do both calibres.

Also reloading is the next step for any centrefire shooter, I've owned and reloaded both, the 22.250 is bigger

the cases are more robust, and large rifle primed. the .223 is smaller, thin cased and small rifle primed, so

from my experience it's a no brainer 22.250 with 55gr hollow points or Hornady red tip V Max.

To be honest the brass between the two are pretty much the same thickness.

They have similar operating pressure.

Could it be me fella I love my hornet but on this subject I'd go for tikka stainless synthetic 243 even so I think the hornet will do the job no problem another subject is Foxtails still alive .

No it wasn't you mate. :thumbs:

Was looking at tikka t3. Look good and light. Synth stock which I'm not keen on but worth the sacrifice

I've the T3 with a synthetic stock. Great gun and you don't have to worry about scratching it.

Was looking at tikka t3. Look good and light. Synth stock which I'm not keen on but worth the sacrifice

Synthetic stocks have their uses and will tend to give you considerably less grief during inclement weather and general maintenance!

Personally my .22 T3 Lite stock left the gun front heavy out of the box, and by the time I fitted a moderator it was very front heavy and imbalanced. As many here know I took ages trying to sort it and eventually added lead to the rear stock. That worked, the gun is now brilliant, just the same I bought the T3 Hunter .243 and have done nothing with it, balance is FAR better than the T3 Lite straight out of the box!

post-10759-0-94095400-1507880008_thumb.jpg

Howa 1500 is spot on for the money

Yeah. They seem great. Do t like the dildo stock though!

Prefer wood so finding one in laminate would be ideal

This is mine with the thumb hole stock

4148949C-CE36-464E-8726-945C971B7746_zps

You used to be able to get a right deal on them brand new including a hard case scope bi pod mod for about £800