Can't Decide On A Fox Calibre

So I've got a new price of land around 300 acres.

Farmer wants foxes thinned out as the conservationists keep picking them up from towns and releasing them near the river. They always make their way up to his farm from there.

So I need to sort a variation out for a centerfire.

Which round to go for?

.222 or 22-250

Each field is pretty long and open.

I like the idea of the 250 for the flatter trajectory but will the .222 suffice. I see the average fox being around 250 yards

Any opinions would be appreciated

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many people are FORCED to shoot foxes at 250yards average distance, there are commonly ways to get closer or get the fox closer.   I take the occasional opportunist fox out there but generally,

I absolutely love my .22-250 and haven't had any complaints yet lol.

Think about whether you are going to reload or not.   I use a Tikka T3 in .204 ruger with hornady superformance 32g v-max. Great foxing combo IMO.

Posted Images

I'm only gauging from what ibjave seen on the land. Lots of open land and looking at my markers (trees and bushes) I think around 250 will where most appear from. I can try and squeek em in.

I Don't want to be over or under gunned.

Think I'll have to try squeaking them in closer.

The question still stands though. Which round

Edited by bullit666

It's your choice but 222 or 223 would be my choice before the 22-250.

Many forget the real reason for the 22-250 being developed, to hit prairie dogs at long range with light bullets, a small thin skinned critter.

At nearly 4000fps bullet integrity even on a blade of grass is much to ask!

3000fps with 50-60 grn bullets is plenty good and avoids shallow wounds!

Just my observations.

U.

Not many people are FORCED to shoot foxes at 250yards average distance, there are commonly ways to get closer or get the fox closer.

I take the occasional opportunist fox out there but generally, with a bit of work, I can get them inside rimfire distances.

Whatever, not sure why you didn't mention the .223!

It's more than capable, but being the tart I am if I was forced to shoot them at 250yards all the time my .243 with 58g V-Max would be my choice.

• Like 2

This is why asked. Only used centre fires down range and at range. I'm a capable shooter and frequently take bunnies crows and pigeons at 100yards with fac air and my 22lr.

Basically as my variation is going in I don't want to just put down the biggest I can get away with. Trying to be semi responsible and get something suitable for my needs.

I just want to choose the round that will do the job.

The flatter trajectory and more capable of the 22-250 is what attracted me to it.

My field craft will need adapting to foxing and that'll take some practice

Maybe I should have just said. Opinions on favourite fox rounds?

.223 is a popular choice and something I should like at in more depth.

It's a little louder than a .223 mate. But with a decent silencer all you get is same as any other fast round. Just the muzzle crack and supersonic blast. I have a .243 that sounds exactly the same in my opinion. Send me a email address and I'll send you some pictures of devistation to be expected from the .22-250

If urban conservationists are you're problem I'd have thought maybe you'd have wanted stealth over range. Last thing you want is protestors if people hear you dispatching their rescued foxes. To the farmer they're predators, to the urban misunderstanders they're almost pets.

To that end, an electronic caller and maybe a moderated hornet or even rimfire might be better. If they already think the farm is a meal station, I doubt you'll have much difficulty calling them in so why not hunker down in a barn or in a gap in a wall and call them up the field. I doubt an urban fox is going to shy from buildings, static lights or a little farm noise.

Before varying anything, maybe try an electronic caller with your rimfire and see if you can get them right in as nothing beats a .22 sub for (lack of) volume. 50yds or less and you're safe for an almost certain humane kill. Failing that, if you can't get them up the hill, you'll at least have an idea of how far you can get them to approach and have a better idea of the calibre needed. Might be worth buying or borrowing a caller and a rangefinder.

At 250yds, my preference would be to reach for a .22-250 or .243. However, neither is stealthy.

One last point, if shooting down a hill, consider the safety aspect of your backdrop, and if you can't get it safe within your permission, consider shooting up or across the hill. Might even given you a shorter range aspect in any event.

This is why asked. Only used centre fires down range and at range. I'm a capable shooter and frequently take bunnies crows and pigeons at 100yards with fac air and my 22lr.

Basically as my variation is going in I don't want to just put down the biggest I can get away with. Trying to be semi responsible and get something suitable for my needs.

I just want to choose the round that will do the job.

The flatter trajectory and more capable of the 22-250 is what attracted me to it.

My field craft will need adapting to foxing and that'll take some practice

Maybe I should have just said. Opinions on favourite fox rounds?

.223 is a popular choice and something I should like at in more depth.

at 250 yds wether you hit it with a .222 .223 or 22-250 the fox won't know what's killed it, and they will all do it at that range.

Yes the 22-250 is a devastating round but you don't need to devastate it to kill it. As Deker said don't discount the .243 with a 58g rd it will be more than capable of the job, plus if you ever come across deer you also have the right rifle for that job also.

ATB........Del

Lots of food for thought. The farmer likes the odd dear so they are a no go.

Near the buildings there is a caravan site the farmer owns so I wouldn't be firing off near there. I'd be further in the valley.

Funny you mention downhill. The farm runs down hill with walls between fields. River is at the very bottom with the woods. Hasn't stopped it being cleared for 308 though. But safety is a big factor.

I think a 223 seems like a happy medium. Does everything just a bit better than the 222.

• Like 1

Near the buildings there is a caravan site the farmer owns so I wouldn't be firing off near there. I'd be further in the valley.

Funny you mention downhill. The farm runs down hill with walls between fields. River is at the very bottom with the woods. Hasn't stopped it being cleared for 308 though. But safety is a big factor.

I think a 223 seems like a happy medium. Does everything just a bit better than the 222.

???? why do think the 223 does it better than the .222? Obviously you have your opinion but after owning both I cannot split them and opted for the .222 everyone to their own I guess

???? why do think the 223 does it better than the .222? Obviously you have your opinion but after owning both I cannot split them and opted for the .222 everyone to their own I guess

To be honest I'm a bit surprised you said that. Looking at .222 and .223 simplistically I have always been surprised how much different they feel to shoot. Both are easy of course, but the .222 is sweet!

I settled for .223 though.

The .223 carries a hint more energy but for most real world experiences that isn't worth losing sleep over!

The difference in performance isn't worth the worry, but they feel and even sound a lot different to me, but whatever floats your boat!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker