Black Fallow Buck

Nice young buck from a local park I help to manage. These deer supposedly come from the Epping herd and typically have much less palmate antlers than average fallow. They are also small and gazelle -like with even the biggest bucks rarely topping 70kg.

This one was feeding amongst some patches of bramble so allowed me to approach a few yards whenever his head was down and freeze when he looked up. Neck shot from 80 yards with Ruger. 243

post-69966-0-27242300-1507502976_thumb.jpg

Edited by beast
  • Like 9

Seen a few of these little fallow, worked on a shoot in cuffley and they'd made there way over the m25. If you drive 10 mins the other way back toward where I live you have big tall fast ones with proper palmated antlers.

• Like 1

There are proper feral herds in Epping but also the encloved der which have supposedly been genetically isolated for 500 years or more. I can't remember the exact story but I think they came from Denmark as a gift to one of the English kings. Whipsnade have had a herd from this group for about 50 years and they too have the same characteristics.

• Like 1

Do they ever bring new blood into this herd Beast and do they source from other captive deer herds .?[/quote

This herd was established in the 60s with about 10 pure Epping founders and has had no new blood since. I have told them to get some new bucks from epping but no moves to do so. The herd is therefore incredibly inbred but that dosent seem to be problematic

Surely the reduced size is a strong indicator of inbreeding, rather then evidence of any specific strain?

I know of a captive herd in Cumbria that are similar, weedy little things, mainly as nutrition and culling has been historically neglected. I believe things have improved more recently though.

Novice

It's an interesting question novice. These are not weedy or poor doers they are fithe muscular and healthy just slim and gazelle-like. The original root stock is of similar type and I have read that other herds from this bloodline are too. It's a bit like saying that whippets are smaller than greyhounds because they are inbred rather than because that is how they have evolved.

Apart from size inbreeding will manifest as things like low fertility or minor deformations like bent tails bug we have none of that here.

I believe that these deer have gone through the genetic bottleneck many generations ago and the faulty ones died off or failed to breed.

• Like 1