Breeding Just Getting Under Way

Right, as far as I know the Gouldian is a completely domestic finch that was never wild and I was always lead to believe you needed foster parents.

I also see you have Diamond Doves Lurchers, a lot of lads overlook them but I loved them when I had them. They'd coo and court each other in front of you instead of shutting up as you walked into the bird room.

The only thing was stopping them breeding, LOL.

• Like 1

Do I see Gouldians in the first pic ?

Have you ever had luck with them ?

Yes Neil when Ive had them in the past. just getting back into them.

A beautiful bird but I'm lead to believe you need to put the eggs under foster hens, Mannikans are usually used ?

The biggest problem is that they come from the very hot climate of the Northern territory and do not have down feathers so even here in Australian it can be to cold for them and they hate a draughty aviary. the wrong conditions and they will fall of the perch.

They are self breeders here and a very common aviary bird. right up there for one of the best looking birds.

The diamond doves are great they are no trouble and and only add to the Aviary .

Edited by stevemac

Right, as far as I know the Gouldian is a completely domestic finch that was never wild and I was always lead to believe you needed foster parents.

I also see you have Diamond Doves Lurchers, a lot of lads overlook them but I loved them when I had them. They'd coo and court each other in front of you instead of shutting up as you walked into the bird room.

The only thing was stopping them breeding, LOL.

No the Lady Gouldian finch is an Aussie its habitat is found in northern Australia.

All good Neil, I watched Ireland flog Italy at the rugby league world cup to day The boys went alright.

And we got a new World Champion boxer and a world record breaking horse trainer over the weekend, so my silly lack of knowledge hasn't let down the Irish, LOL.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well the Thanks Gripper canaries have done well this year,  The parrot finches are just going down for their 2nd nest , the Goudlians are just starting , the cockateils have had several nests and plenty of young how ever the biggest let down have been the Princes parrots and the dam budgies of all things.

• Like 1