Dog Scared Of Spade??

I got two dogs a few months back and after getting them right I've now tried both of them the younger dog showed his inexperience but I was quite pleased with him. The older dog worked it well stayed in one place after about 15/20mins so we waited another 10 mins no movement so started digging. Everything was going well until we just about broke through and the dog moved. These are my first dogs so I'm a proper beginner but my mate I was out with said it looks like the old lads been hit with the spade before and he's now scared of it. I'll try him again but don't know if it's something I did or the poor sods had some shovel and now don't trust me. Any advice welcome cheers

Try and break through well behind the dog, when you rescue your terrier, might have to dig a slightly bigger hole, takes a bit of skill/luck/guesswork, carefully probe a bit with the T bar to find the tube if you need to. Sound of your voice might help.

But... the dog might just not have the grit for the final force of the quarry when you are about to break through when it gets a bit hot.

• Like 8

I don't think the dogs bothered by the spade when you're just about to break in the dog his most under pressure, and should hold the animal in the stop end the dogs gave way when he's been tested and let it push past him.

If I'm being honest with myself mate I think your right. My mate said that at the time but think he could tell I was a bit upset so tried to humor me lol

I got two dogs a few months back and after getting them right I've now tried both of them the younger dog showed his inexperience but I was quite pleased with him. The older dog worked it well stayed in one place after about 15/20mins so we waited another 10 mins no movement so started digging. Everything was going well until we just about broke through and the dog moved. These are my first dogs so I'm a proper beginner but my mate I was out with said it looks like the old lads been hit with the spade before and he's now scared of it. I'll try him again but don't know if it's something I did or the poor sods had some shovel and now don't trust me. Any advice welcome cheers

No digging terrier will come into its own until it has been entered on numerous occasions over the course of the season.Experience is the only gauge of a terriers working value and only then can true judgement be plausible.Each and every time a terrier gets dark and dirty it learns its trade a tad more and a season or two under its belt is a truer reflection of the tykes purpose.Throw some graft at the mutt and make your mind up when its had a season or 2 above it.

• Like 6

No digging terrier will come into its own until it has been entered on numerous occasions over the course of the season.Experience is the only gauge of a terriers working value and only then can true judgement be plausible.Each and every time a terrier gets dark and dirty it learns its trade a tad more and a season or two under its belt is a truer reflection of the tykes purpose.Throw some graft at the mutt and make your mind up when its had a season or 2 above it.

The old lad is six and I don't know what it's done before, I'll keep trying him but will concentrate more on the younger dog.

Try and follow the dog on the box and work out which direction he came from. Try and knock in on his arse and not the collar...also go steady as your about to knock in. The naturals usually make it look like they done it all they're lifes from day 1 but some others may need tweaking. Good luck and remember some young terriers really can test your patience but give them every chance and it may pay off. Keep at it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A favourite bitch of mine went through a funny period, maybe a bit shovel shy, I dont ever remember anything going wrong at break through, she always had the game in a stop, as if she just eased off as the shovel and daylight slid in. After a few times of it happening I took it very easy at the end of getting down to her, levelling out the bottom of the dig all nice and neat, pause now and again, few gentle words. She seemed to get over it quick enough. & to be truthful, slowing down before breakthrough & listen to her right up to her stuff made it even more enjoyable. They arent machines.

I always aim to drop in behind the dog ideally, dont take log to open around them & the quarry.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...