Ppu's Or Hornday

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why zero with one and shoot with another? Why not just zero with what you shoot with? Or am I missing something?

You need to zero with exactly the same make, type and bullet as you intend to shoot, if that's factory then the same must be used. The whole point of zeroing is to 'tune' the scope to the barrel &am

Just use the ppu mate.

You need to zero with exactly the same make, type and bullet as you intend to shoot, if that's factory then the same must be used.

The whole point of zeroing is to 'tune' the scope to the barrel & ammo. For a first 'go' with a newly installed scope, or a new / different rifle yes ok use Privi to get yourself on the paper, then chuck them back in the truck and use the 'good' stuff forever afterwards.

From experience a finely zeroed hand load in my 22.250 cuts a single ragged 3 shot hole at 100 yards, Through exactly the same set up Privi 55gr FMJ looked like a shotgun pattern, it was so bad I wouldn't use it for anything except a fouling shot on a cleaned barrel or to get the brass back!

So the idea of setting up with Privi then using something else is not a good one!

AF

• Like 2

My .243 hates PPU with a vengance ,garden hose doesnt cover it but loves Hornady Whitetail ,the manufacturing differences are simple .Americanski dont do carp,Ak is only supplied with carp and PPU maka lotsa carp for eastern european customers who AK during national service.

Americans are absolute simple it must be fit for purpose or i am not buying it ,we are ripped off sideways so a lot buy on price 15 quid PPU or 26 quid Hornady is a no brainer for Brits dealing with foxes.

BUT if your rifle doesnt like the variations in PPU manufacture its tough titty get your wallet out or miss atb

I've been zeroing the .223 with ppu's 55g , and then swapping to hornday 55g , for shooting

The BC I belive is the same but the grouping are different , not a lot , but enough to wonder if I should just stick to one make , or am I missing something

Atb

£12a hundred for PPus in 50 grain is cheap and if they group well with your set up and the bullets work on target the saving is considerable, and could be a factor if you are shooting big numbers of round wiping out vermin and jobs like that.

you have to decide if you shoot enough rounds in the field to make cost a concern, look at the advantages on accuracy you get if any on the two pick the best is my advice accuracy first cost second by honest with yourself giving up accuracy even though the savings are considerable is about weighing up the difference and will any difference impact your performance in the field.

To answer your question i do not like swapping anything when it works this eliminates adjustments saves time and expense even wear and tear. Stick to the most accurate one.