An Old One, But A Good One!

This pest control rat hunt was filmed back in the spring of 2014. This park has an unusual number of both brown rats and muskrats infesting the stream flowing through it. People like to feed the ducks here, and the leftover bread has caused an explosion in the local rodent population. The park has hired me to bring my trained mink to help with population control.

https://youtu.be/7Po2lkPLFcM

• Like 1

Why hunt rats mate? If I was you I`d hunt the mink and treat the wife to a lovely fur coat. ...........

Only kidding pal, I love that mink of yours and the vids you do. keep up the good work.

By the way, I know you were joking, but I actually get A LOT of fur from the muskrats my mink catches. One muskrat pelt isn't worth as much as a mink's, but after a good day of muskrat hunting I can have more muskrat pelts than one mink is worth. Some day I want to make a nice warm fur hat from some of the muskrats we catch, instead of just selling all of the furs like I usually do.

Why hunt rats mate? If I was you I`d hunt the mink and treat the wife to a lovely fur coat. ...........

Only kidding pal, I love that mink of yours and the vids you do. keep up the good work.

By the way, I know you were joking, but I actually get A LOT of fur from the muskrats my mink catches. One muskrat pelt isn't worth as much as a mink's, but after a good day of muskrat hunting I can have more muskrat pelts than one mink is worth. Some day I want to make a nice warm fur hat from some of the muskrats we catch, instead of just selling all of the furs like I usually do.

what sort of price do you get for the fur?

Cheers

what sort of price do you get for the fur?

Cheers

The price of muskrat fur ranges widely, depending on the current trends in the fur markets. A couple years ago they were averaging around $12 per muskrat hide, but the fur prices are down regardless of the kind of fur, and now you get considerably less. I'm not sure exactly how much muskrat pelts sell for now, as I've just been saving up my skins until the prices go up again. No point in selling at the bottom of the market!

I also sell some of the muskrat bodies to falconers for hawk food for $2 each. I use a lot of the muskrats for mink and dog food, in addition to eating some myself. But I also sell a few hundred muskrats a year to falconers, as I don't need quite THAT many muskrats. My lurcher eats only raw meat, but I feed her road killed deer, rabbits, and beaver in addition to quite a bit of muskrat meat. My mink eats a diet of something like 70-80% muskrat, mixed in with random ducks, geese, coots, rabbits, brown rats, kangaroo rats, squirrels, and other animals that we catch. My family eats more rabbit than they do muskrats. I like the muskrat meat better than rabbit meat, but my wife prefers rabbit and squirrel, so we typically eat more of that.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 3