What Shell??

Les. Don't be harsh on the fella. All he wants is a bit of guidance. Not much to ask for as we all started somewhere. Anyway. If you are shooting inland over decoys then your guide will help as it is in his own interests to make sure you have a fruitful experience and that the landowners get a good result. I'm guessing that you will be using 2's and 3's through full choke. Whatever happens I hope you have a great time in or around Peterhead. Nice part of the world. Certainly more picturesque than Leeds ffs.Jok.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily there's experts like you on this hunting site willing to help the lad out and give him some guidance ... oh no wait a minuet .......

With a little more insight into what guns you will be taking a more accurate assessment of what ammunition you will need to take with you can be made. It is unlikely you will be reloading and shop

ha ha one thing Il say for you les your a good aul laugh and your right I know nothing about goose shooting(unlike you it seems)but after the 1st 1 or 2 Il have the lead sorted don't you worry about t

I thought that's what the forum was for - asking questions and exchanging information and tips.

If a question is deemed unworthy by people who apparently were born knowing everything about everything, then it's best they just ignore the thread.

To the OP - Sorry can't help as I don't go goose shooting but I'm sure someone who does and isn't too important to share his knowledge will be along shortly to help. :thumbs:

what I was saying is he is going with mates and none of them can tell him what carts he needs .give it a rest .

Les. Don't be harsh on the fella. All he wants is a bit of guidance. Not much to ask for as we all started somewhere. Anyway. If you are shooting inland over decoys then your guide will help as it is in his own interests to make sure you have a fruitful experience and that the landowners get a good result. I'm guessing that you will be using 2's and 3's through full choke. Whatever happens I hope you have a great time in or around Peterhead. Nice part of the world. Certainly more picturesque than Leeds ffs.Jok.

jok your kidding yourself .just look at my last picture .Yorkshire the land of the gods

• Like 1

I thought that's what the forum was for - asking questions and exchanging information and tips.

If a question is deemed unworthy by people who apparently were born knowing everything about everything, then it's best they just ignore the thread.

To the OP - Sorry can't help as I don't go goose shooting but I'm sure someone who does and isn't too important to share his knowledge will be along shortly to help. :thumbs:

what I was saying is he is going with mates and none of them can tell him what carts he needs .give it a rest .
that's very simply answered les it's because we don't have any geese around us here in irl and none have us have being out to shoot them before.i just asked the question what shell to use and you start telling me I shouldn't be goin because I don't know what cartridge to use and I won't know what lead to give them.cop yourself on your being a clown

that's very simply answered les it's because we don't have any geese around us here in irl and none have us have being out to shoot them before.i just asked the question what shell to use and you start telling me I shouldn't be goin because I don't know what cartridge to use and I won't know what lead to give them.cop yourself on your b if you say so

Few of us heading for north scotland to shoot geese in Dec for the first time.just wondering what size of cartridge should we be useing?

With a little more insight into what guns you will be taking a more accurate assessment of what ammunition you will need to take with you can be made.

It is unlikely you will be reloading and shop bought cartridges are often in the more popular general steel cartridges rather than magnum loads.

I suppose you will all be using 12bores so it is feasible if you all have at least 3 inch chambered guns you could buy a flat of cartridges and all make use of that helping keep things more economical.

However is some of you have 3.5 inch chambered guns you may want to use 3.5 inch ammo if you are shooting any for shores or taking your shots at longer ranges.

A flat of 70mm steel cartridges would be another buy you could all share and again save money.

Now what Ammunition you buy will depend what you can get local or buy online if local stuff is not quite what you want, you have enough time before December to sort Ammunition out but getting it done soon could avoid last minute disappointment.

Geese. If say some in your party just have 70mm chambered guns you are restricted to normal steel loads like gamebore super steel 32 gram which work ok and you can find them in no3 which will do for close range geese into decoys and the closer shots on the shores. with shop bought ammo you dont have the option to make 70mm ammo that can be more effective at longer range as re loaders do so shorter ranges and into the decoys is it for std 70mm factory steel.

RC NSI Rotweil and B&P are other good names for normal 70mm steel i use RC because i can get it locally similarly with the 3 inch factory loads from RC which i find good performers incidentally.

Now with 3.5 inch ammo you have to ask yourselves where are you going to be shooting them and how, it might be no one has a 3.5 inch gun but if some do the ussual suspects RC gamebore ETC do suitable ammo if you need them.

Next thing is it just could be you dont need steel at peterhead dependent on the land you may be able to use lead in which case you have slightly different set of shot charges to be considering.

So sorry if what i have said is so obvious but one has to start some where.

A quick sumary of my own feelings on named brands and cartridge types here biassed very much on my own findings useing them all around the uk wildfowling on the shores i only ever shot geese once inland and stopped at 3, making the dessision right there and then that after years of loving every second on the foreshores the inland scene was not for me.

So starting with 70mm steel my opinion best..... first. RC atomic steel 34 gram 2s fiocchi steel 32 in 3s

3 inch .. Rc hyperfasts in 34gram 1s Rattweil steel game 36

hull solway steel 36 in bb mirage steel 36 bb eley lightening 36 1s.

3.5 inch /.

Winchester Blindside 46gbb

Winchester Drylock 44g2s

Gamebore mamoth steel 42g in 1s

Mirage Steel 39g 1s

If you want to explain a little more what your actually doing up there shores or inland decoying or passing shots i will try and give a more precise opinion on what you should use, guns too would be helpful.

Only hope this as been of some benefit to you.

• Like 3

Appreciate the coment, however i fear it is woefully inadequate to help very much, was the best i could muster given the trip up north info from the original post.

i am sure we can come up with a little more helpfull information given gun type acctualy what they plan on doing where and how. all we have so far is Peterhead. could be anything.

Appreciate the coment, however i fear it is woefully inadequate to help very much, was the best i could muster given the trip up north info from the original post.

i am sure we can come up with a little more helpfull information given gun type acctualy what they plan on doing where and how. all we have so far is Peterhead. could be anything.

we will just be useing semi autos 70mm standard.and as far as I know we are only shooting over decoys inland.cheers for the reply

we will just be useing semi autos 70mm standard.and as far as I know we are only shooting over decoys inland.cheers for the reply
see if you can get some bornaghi shells size 4 will do the job
  • Like 1

jok your kidding yourself .just look at my last picture .Yorkshire the land of the gods

jok when somebody gets killed .then you will say les was right

• Like 1

The winchester canard ammo in32gram 4s Or RC hyperfast are good choices for close shots like you will be doing.

What you need to do is test several boxes of different cartridges in your auto and get together with your mates or encourage them to test their ammo too, pattern them at 40 yards should be suitable for your trip decoying, you could try different chokes in your gun if multi choke if not just test for pattern pick the most even tight pattern most pelets in 30inch looking for patterns that have a dense inner ten inch with no big voids in the outer ring if there are any voids as big as a cd you need to look again, spending time here is never wasted and with 50% in the inner 10 inch load is good for further than 40yards but more important you have the reassurance you can kill clean if you do your part well enough.

Dont be hung up on 4s either you could go for 3s 2s whatever looking at decent pattern is what is important. If its holding a good pattern with 3s go with them it is laborious but can be the difference between a good trip or a disappointment, and you owe it to the geese to make doubly sure what you are using is as good as you can get it.

I would like to say fair play to you as you asked the question in the first place which showed you all were being responsible straight out of the starting gate, this is the right attitude to have regardless of what you are hunting.

Edited by samphire