Dry Food.... To Soak Or Not To Soak

For those in the know. Would adding lard or something similar to the dog's diet be good for them? It seems from reading this that it's the fatty stuff that's good for them?

Fats do dogs are like carbs to us it's there main enegy source.... if you feed meat with a nice bit of fat in that's usually bang on. However there are benefits to feeding lard with dogs ie if your feeding rabbit or any other kind of lean meat you need to be adding lard as a rule of thumb. Lard is also beneficial to dogs prone to cramping and dogs that are in poor conditin and/or underweight

ATB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Throw it in the bin and feed fresh meat .......

Not sure of the scientific benefits of even feeding dry foodstuffs to lurchers... But when I did, I always poured some lukewarm gravy/broth over the mess,..it just made me feel better...   AS rega

A dog should have plenty of water available 24/7 if you feed them dry food or soaked mate ?

Posted Images

For those in the know. Would adding lard or something similar to the dog's diet be good for them? It seems from reading this that it's the fatty stuff that's good for them?

Would depend on how much fat there is already in the diet. If not a lot then more may help to a degree, all about balance. Fats are burned for fuel a rest, as the activity builds up more glucose is used.

More here part 1

my guess about genetic moves to carb digestion have since been proven correct.

part 2

and

Edited by sandymere

Fat is better for dogs than carbs and it's usually free from butchers. Just like bone being better than calcium supplements really.

If you have to feed dry foods try to add some fatty scraps from the butcher a couple of times a week and a little raw bone. The best type of bone is soft bone that they can chew up and eat, like chicken necks, lamb ribs or lamb breasts.

• Like 1