My Tx200 Journey

After a very long break, I came back to air rifles almost 3yrs ago now and, things had changed a lot in 19/20yrs :o

I did a hell of a lot of reading about a lot of rifles - specs, reviews, forum searches etc. Then I managed to get out and handle a few.

Eventually, I settled on the TX - everything about it just felt right - it was a quality bit of kit that fits me well and, being made in England is a nice bonus :thumbs:

I wanted an HC just because I prefer the shorter length. Sure they need a bit more effort to cock but, it's nothing worth moaning about.

1st up was .177 HC in a beech stock - nice rifle but, I really wanted the walnut version.

2nd was a .22 HC in a really nice walnut stock.

By now I'd discovered Rowan Engineering and, learned how to strip a springer. This one ran really well with a TBT short stroke kit.

..... But, I wanted a .177.

3rd was a .177 ProSport in a beech stock. I'd heard good things about these so, when I saw a deal on a used one at my RFD, I though why not.

.... after a strip and clean, it ran really well and, I wasn't disappointed - they are are a very capable rifle.

.... the thing is, they're not a TX :no:

4th is the current model - a .177 TX200hc in a walnut stock :thumbs:

To be honest - this one's been a bit of a fecker. I bought it brand new but, when I got it home and cocked it the first few times, it felt rough as arseholes. It felt like there was metal on metal contact.

When I stripped it down, I found scratches and gouges on the inside of the main body that had been caused by the front edge of the compression tube.

The top couple of coils on the spring were also bent - wtf.

Before going all hammer and tongs on it, I had a chat with Si Brown - sorting it out ended up being fairly easy :yes:

.... Cheers Si :thumbs:

It took a bit of time with some wet and dry around a broom handle and some 3in1 but, the scratches and gouges are now gone.

I also took down the front edges of the compression tube a little and, fitted a Titan No. 10 that I had from earlier experiments - this friday afternoon rifle now feels a lot nicer to use :thumbs:

post-102688-0-35673000-1505549660_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-47198800-1505549710_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-64302500-1505549746_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-00873300-1505549778_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

In the mean time, I tried another rifle that I'd heard good things about - an HW97kt :thumbs:

Indeed, it was a very nice rifle - well made and a joy to use but, I could never get consistent enough to have the confidence to hunt with it.

I tried different power levels, different pellets, different stocks, different scopes - maybe it just didn't fit me.

Now that the TX is back, I thought I'd get it exactly how I want it :yes:

It's got an old style MTC Viper with SCB reticle, sitting in a dampa mount. Some nice shiny Rowan bits - trigger guard, adjustable trigger, cocking lever, adjustable but plate and PA lever.

Inside is a TBT piston extension with original steel spring guide and top hat, no extra preload. Now that it's had a few hundred pellets through it, it's bedding in nicely - a nice quick thump of a firing cycle that sends 7.33gn FAPs out at 835fps

The shoot n see target is 15 shots at 60yrds, the paper target is 15 shots at 30yrds - both outside.

Just a bit more practice and, I'll be looking forward to taking this out :good:

post-102688-0-48739000-1505552110_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-26366100-1505552131_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-80446900-1505552153_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-31368400-1505552166_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice write up Jon and nice shooting :good: .

I`ve never tried to work on a spring rifle of late but I always had my old Tornado, meteors, mercury`s and airsporters apart as a young lad.

Very similar work to my T Rex Jon, have a butchers at what The Rat Works did, hell my TX is going nowhere, superbly accurate and hard hitting.

post-85710-0-46834300-1505554213.jpg

post-85710-0-18710700-1505554622.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry and glad. Glad that your are now happy. Sorry as to the amount of people having to strip down rifles to get them to how they was sold as from new in the condition suppose to be in.

All is well that ends well and good on you Jonjon.

But for that One who is confident to strip a brand new Rifle and work on it, thus making any warranty null and void, there are Thousands who are not and would think that is how it is suppose to be. It will be seen as one is seeing so many brand new Rifles on the second hand market, quicker than you can say " boiled asparagus - 1970s TV I Claudius" I for one would not work on any problem I found from new that is for sure. Glad all is well once more mate.

Enjoy for many a good day Jonjon

All the very best for you and yours

• Like 3

Nice write up Jon and nice shooting :good: .

I`ve never tried to work on a spring rifle of late but I always had my old Tornado, meteors, mercury`s and airsporters apart as a young lad.

Very similar work to my T Rex Jon, have a butchers at what The Rat Works did, hell my TX is going nowhere, superbly accurate and hard hitting.

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

Cheers Mark :thumbs:

That work is similar :o

..... I dare say that my job isn't quite as refined as a pro job - I haven't been brave enough to have the trigger apart yet.

Sorry and glad. Glad that your are now happy. Sorry as to the amount of people having to strip down rifles to get them to how they was sold as from new in the condition suppose to be in.

All is well that ends well and good on you Jonjon.

But for that One who is confident to strip a brand new Rifle and work on it, thus making any warranty null and void, there are Thousands who are not and would think that is how it is suppose to be. It will be seen as one is seeing so many brand new Rifles on the second hand market, quicker than you can say " boiled asparagus - 1970s TV I Claudius" I for one would not work on any problem I found from new that is for sure. Glad all is well once more mate.

Enjoy for many a good day Jonjon

All the very best for you and yours

Cheers Renos :thumbs:

To be fair, I don't think this is typical of AA rifles - I reckon it was caused by the pissed spring.

Even if it had been perfect, I'd still have stripped it at some point - it's quite therapeutic to have a tinker :rolleyes::yes:

I'm not too worried about the warranty on a TX - there's very few moving parts and, they're so easy to strip - even I can do it :laugh:

Anyway mate, how's your hands doing?

Have you been shooting much lately? :thumbs:

• Like 1

A .177 TX200HC has to be one of the THE most accurate spring air rifles I've ever shot with. I had two Mk. IIIs quite some years back now;, including one on my FAC and they were both incredible. I love the current stock with its sweetly curved forend.

But now, I'm a dedicated Pro Sport man and for my money, deservedly the flag ship of the Air Arms spring gun range. Charlie Caller here worked on mine and he said how easy to strip and tune/fettle, and well made ir Arms guns are

SO a second hand one as a tuning and improving project might make an excellent winter project noe the nights are longer and colder?

Makes me wish I had the know-how and tools to take one to bits and strip it out with new internal kit. It must be very rewarding to bring an old rifle back to top performance. :hmm::thumbs:

• Like 3

A .177 TX200HC has to be one of the THE most accurate spring air rifles I've ever shot with. I had two Mk. IIIs quite some years back now;, including one on my FAC and they were both incredible. I love the current stock with its sweetly curved forend.

But now, I'm a dedicated Pro Sport man and for my money, deservedly the flag ship of the Air Arms spring gun range. Charlie Caller here worked on mine and he said how easy to strip and tune/fettle, and well made ir Arms guns are

SO a second hand one as a tuning and improving project might make an excellent winter project noe the nights are longer and colder?

Makes me wish I had the know-how and tools to take one to bits and strip it out with new internal kit. It must be very rewarding to bring an old rifle back to top performance. :hmm::thumbs:

I reckon you could do a nice job on one very easily Simon :yes:

There's no special tools needed to take one apart - the TX, just take the action out of the sock, hold it by the barrel, put the trigger housing on a towel on a firm surface and push down, then unscrew the retaining bolt (may need an adjustable spanner first time). Then the whole thing just comes apart.

.... the only fiddly bit is the circlip for the pin on the cocking lever.

A drop-in kit is exactly as it sounds - it literally just drops in - no tools needed, it can all be done by hand :thumbs:

Dismantling the ProSport, from memory, was a little different but, just as simple.

Give it a go mate :thumbs:

One of the nicest springers I ever fired was when I first had a go at tuning my .22 TX.

...... The shot cycle was very quick and, the pellet slammed into my backstop.

I'd cocked up and it was running at around 16ftlb. 5 minutes later, I'd had it apart again - oops :whistling::laugh:

• Like 1

glad you've got there Jon :thumbs::thumbs:

I think the tx's are nice looking bit of kit and in walnut... stunning!

if it wasn't for that bloody bear trap :censored:

if I was given a pcp or spring choice it would be springer all day long :yes:

atb si

Cheers Si :thumbs:

I do like them mate - like you said on another post, I think this just fits.

I actually don't mind that bear trap - with a piston extension fitted, it only goes as far as 1 click.

I wouldn't ever want to be without a springer but, most of my hunting is done at night. For that, I haven't found anything that works better for me than the HW100 and NS Viper.

...... But, if I could find an NV set up that was guaranteed to not self destruct on a springer :hmm:

• Like 1

glad you've got there Jon :thumbs::thumbs:

I think the tx's are nice looking bit of kit and in walnut... stunning!

if it wasn't for that bloody bear trap :censored:

if I was given a pcp or spring choice it would be springer all day long :yes:

atb si

Cheers Si :thumbs:

I do like them mate - like you said on another post, I think this just fits.

I actually don't mind that bear trap - with a piston extension fitted, it only goes as far as 1 click.

I wouldn't ever want to be without a springer but, most of my hunting is done at night. For that, I haven't found anything that works better for me than the HW100 and NS Viper.

...... But, if I could find an NV set up that was guaranteed to not self destruct on a springer :hmm:

my mates on about putting his photon on his ps for ratting :thumbs:

he's a 100 kid to the core but loves his ps!