Connecting To Waste Drains

Need to connect to waste drain for the dog waste. I have good access to the manhole in the garden. Once the manhole cover is removed it's about 4ft deep with five accesses at the bottom, 3 in use 2 with blanks.

Q 1, I take it I will have to use a P trap to stop the smell coming back up. Given I will be dropping the crap down a new grate am I better having the trap attached to the grate just below ground level or where it connects to the bottom of the manhole connector?

Q2, Another daft question do I have to drop a bucket of water down each time after I put the crap down it to force it to the other side of the p trap....hope that makes sense.

Q3, I suppose breaking a hole into the side of the manhole about 1 ft down would save some digging, but is not advised?

Thanks all......and are them trench digging spades any good?

Edited by wuyang

I had a mate do mine and he made a decent job of it, real smart and works great. What i will tell you is flush through regular. Buckets and barrels of water are far better than hoses for this job. Make sure you flush from all the grids and drains to your foul pipe and ensure everything is well clear of your property. ;)

When your pipe goes into the manhole make sure it goes in at say a 45 degree angle and not at a 90.

Aiming the outlet of your pipe into the flow of the main line.

And if you have guttering and downpipe on your kennels run that through your new soil pipe.to keep it flushed.

Breaking into the manhole from the side isn't a problem as long as your pipe discharges into the line of flow as to not cause a blockage.

• Like 2

Have the p trap close to the surface ,easier to clean if it gets blocked

Try to connect to the manhole connector as this will give you more of a fall ,so won't block as easy.

Washing out with a bucket will help keeping it free of cruds and dog hair etc

Tell a terrier lad there's a fox in there they'll dog the hole for you :D

• Like 2

Need to connect to waste drain for the dog waste. I have good access to the manhole in the garden. Once the manhole cover is removed it's about 4ft deep with five accesses at the bottom, 3 in use 2 with blanks.

Q 1, I take it I will have to use a P trap to stop the smell coming back up. Given I will be dropping the crap down a new grate am I better having the trap attached to the grate just below ground level or where it connects to the bottom of the manhole connector?

Q2, Another daft question do I have to drop a bucket of water down each time after I put the crap down it to force it to the other side of the p trap....hope that makes sense.

Q3, I suppose breaking a hole into the side of the manhole about 1 ft down would save some digging, but is not advised?

Thanks all......and are them trench digging spades any good?

Throw it down your kitchen waste gulley and flush through with bucket of water. I work on the drains and the only thing you will be able to install is another gulley pot. Use one that is already there. Cheaper and works I do it daily.

• Like 2

I drilled a couple of holes in one end of the metal manhole cover and bolted a short piece of chain to it to make a handle, just lift it up like a hinge and fire the shit down into the mains waste pipe. Simples.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

It's illegal without a application.

If sewers just serving your own prop then it's simple indirect application. If it's serving you and others it's a bit more palarva as it's classified as a sewer and is under water boards ownership.

As with most things in life if you just get it done to a decent standard then I'd craic on. The water board haven't got a clue about where any of these lateral drains are anyway

• Like 1

Cheers all. I'm doing a channel grate while I'm at it....started digging it out yesterday....its clay once your a foot down. Going to buy a decent spade as one I'm using is going to snap, those trench spades look decent. Still tempted to connect to the side of the manhole, but I might as well dig down given the mess I've made.