Springer X Foxhound First Cross

shaneg

Anyone work this cross. How do they work. Do you think many would speak. I currently work as kennelman and terrierman for a pack of hounds and was thinking of breeding a few of these in the next year or two when I finish up here and move home. Just looking for everyone's opinion. There would only be 2 or 3 lads out so don't really want full foxhounds. Would be doing small covers and running to the odd lurcher but the main purpose would hopefully hunt and mark. My mate has a super springer bitch that I can take a litter of so I can put whatever I want on her so what's best harrier, foxhound or Welsh

Anyone work this cross. How do they work. Do you think many would speak. I currently work as kennelman and terrierman for a pack of hounds and was thinking of breeding a few of these in the next year or two when I finish up here and move home. Just looking for everyone's opinion. There would only be 2 or 3 lads out so don't really want full foxhounds. Would be doing small covers and running to the odd lurcher but the main purpose would hopefully hunt and mark. My mate has a super springer bitch that I can take a litter of so I can put whatever I want on her so what's best harrier, foxhound or Welsh

You will have better chance using a barking springer in the breeding.for the hound side a good beagle or beagle harrier.i wouldnt use a mute springer if I could help it,if you want the pups barking well.

• Like 1

The springer is mute hunting but a demon to hunt foxes. I won't take the chance breeding so. A mute dog is no good to me.

just wondering Shaneg. If the fox gets out of the cover or were ever the springer puts him out of and runs for a couple of fields how far would the springer follow 1 ,2 miles or all the way to were ever he holds up and if so do you collar the dog like the hounds just wondering as only recently started goin out with hounds

The springer is mute hunting but a demon to hunt foxes. I won't take the chance breeding so. A mute dog is no good to me.

You could be lucky though,maybe it's worth the chance,I was only saying you would have better odds with a barking springer.i only ever bred from barking springers but I know of pups bred from mute springers and you would get a lot more mute pups and pups with poor tongue.

The main reason I was thinking of this cross the cover can be real heavy down my way and foxhounds can be very slow to draw trough it. I'd just like a tougher hunting hound. I'd want them steadier and slower than a hound that they would be easier keep up with out in open country. The main reason for having these would be for more digging for my terriers. So don't no weather to gamble and do this or get 5 or 6 slow steady hounds that are gone a bit slow for the pack

• Like 1

The main reason I was thinking of this cross the cover can be real heavy down my way and foxhounds can be very slow to draw trough it. I'd just like a tougher hunting hound. I'd want them steadier and slower than a hound that they would be easier keep up with out in open country. The main reason for having these would be for more digging for my terriers. So don't no weather to gamble and do this or get 5 or 6 slow steady hounds that are gone a bit slow for the pack

that won't always be the case as you will have went from terrierman to huntsman,anyway go for it,atb wf
  • 1 month later...
On 15/09/2017 at 21:17, shaneg said:

Fox pack on here has beagle x spaniels for working fox and his give plenty of tongue , be worth dropping him a pm see how he whent about breeding them, they sure do put a lot of game away 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/09/2017 at 16:55, shaneg said:

Iv a beagle x spaniel x Welsh hound great dog speaks on sight pushes through tight cover  Good steady dog Iv aslo a beagle x spaniel that's a machine speaks on sent Will hunt all day