Couple Questions About Kits

jtaylor

Hi guys my kits like to give me a little nip every now and then it doesn't hurt and there not drawing blood. Could this just be they want to play with me? At 4 months old is it still classed as a nip or can they latch on and draw blood if they want. There handled every other day.

Also what age do they reach fully grown?

Cheers Jack

There lies your problem.... Handled every other day... Atb dc

Does it really make that much difference. My older hob is fine never bit me once (he was a rescue) I thought spending an hour with them every other day now there abit older would be fine?? I ain't asking why there biting by the way if you read my post its about how hard can they bit at that age

Right so you feed everday so no excuse not to handle everyday trust me its worth it in the long run atb

This I getting confusing they have a big bowl of dry which they have access to all the time and it never gets empty because they couldn't possible eat it all in 2 days. They get raw when I handle them and the dry just gets topped up.

Easy give them small bowl dry,then you got fill it everday lol,should be checking/handling them daily really mate just my opinion atb

I'm just going of what worked for me and my hob before I got the kits. When i had them I handled them daily it's just now there a bit older I thought they would be fine matching my old routine.

Could you help with my original question how hard can a 4month old kit bit and when do they reach fully grown?

Jack. 4 months old and they are still babies. They need constant attention as they would have from the mother. My mate swears by a little milk in his palm each time you feed them which at that age should be twice a day. continual feed might not be the best idea. They then get accustomed to you as the source of food and will act accordingly. Not only that, you are able to have a little talk to them which will help no end when they are in the working environment. In other words they will come to you eagerly . As regards maturity. 10/12 months and your little friends will be good to go. All my own opinion. Jok.

• Like 1

Jack. 4 months old and they are still babies. They need constant attention as they would have from the mother. My mate swears by a little milk in his palm each time you feed them which at that age should be twice a day. continual feed might not be the best idea. They then get accustomed to you as the source of food and will act accordingly. Not only that, you are able to have a little talk to them which will help no end when they are in the working environment. In other words they will come to you eagerly . As regards maturity. 10/12 months and your little friends will be good to go. All my own opinion. Jok.

Thanks for the info and advice Ile adjust accordingly and see how it goes. Jack

All ferts are different some need contact every day some don't I had one Jill that I used change her food daily and she never came out her box , when it came to working hef I used get her out the bed area once at work she was demon , I had a hob that spent 24/7 running up and down the front cage and even tho handled daily would still give the od nip ,,, at 4 month old if it wanted to hurt you you'd no it , try handling every day ,,,, some just come out the nippy stage , I have a eu polecat born this years he still nippy with me but if he wanted to he could proper sink his teeth in , I dug to him the other day bout 6 inch deep he killed full grown buck rabbit in seconds so I no he could hurt me if he wanted to ,, wash your hands befor handling them handle every day they will come right

As said when you feed them handle them there less likely to nip with a full belly it makes them sleepy and when the youngsters the more you put in the more you will get out of them when there older

• Like 1

I have bred the same line of ferrets for generations and tbh due to being busy/lazy the kits don't get that daily attention but I have found they just don't need it. I have never bred from nippy parents and the kits just seem to be naturally very easy to handle, the kits I bred this year haven't so much as nipped me once (going to get bitten now!). Would anyone agree that ferrets can genetically predisposed to be friendly and easy to handle? Or am I just lucky!!!

I responses to the original post, at four months a ferrets could definitely draw blood and lock on if it chose to.

Good luck with the coming season everyone.

• Like 1

I'm a great believer in feeding some raw food by hand mornings and evening,as other lads have said get them to see you as there source of food. I think it just play nips they are giving you like when they are having rough and tumbles. Chuck a chicken wing in and see whats left if any thing, well if they can do that to a chicken wing they could nail you good and proper if they wanted to. You can't handle them to much they love it, as said by others you will reap the benefits latter.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1