New Bew Is A Beauty

Hey guys! I got a phone call last week from Des (one of my permissions) asked if I could come out, the rabbits are getting a bit thick, he said.
No problem buddy‘ll be out next week, bit busy atm.
With Kass, Zip, 4 ferrets and the other essentials I headed off, I was looking forward to the day so I could see how the new b.e.w Jill I bought applies her trade. I was a little concerned early on, but by day’s end I was chuffed with her.
Had another fantastic day out in the field, a lot of banter ,met a new neighbour, and gained yet another permission. Below is a video of the day. Whatever you do in life, Enjoy – Cheers Doug

• Like 3

I prefer the bigger type ferrets for working they get the pest control jobs done quicker one way or another. Nice looking bew with a sound temperament Sir .

It’s a different style of ferreting here mate, in most places for most of the year we can’t dig, so I opt for smaller bucks and Jill’s, the rabbits can pull away from them in tight spots most of the time , also I won’t keep a ferret that stays with the kill. The bigger, stronger, faster ferrets , just catch too many underground, only down side is the smaller ones usually don’t have the stamina of the bigger ones, 2 Jill’s weigh about the same as a big buck ,just means I carry a couple extra. Horses for courses

• Like 1

I totally understand horses for courses Sir. I need my bigger bews to kill quickly when they catch and clear the warrens quick as possible. The warrens can be huge and I dont like hanging around watching the scenery, although its nice its not my thing lol. Most of the ground I do is big sandy warrens and more than 6ft deep digs are the norm. Any more than 6ft I wont dig. The bigger ferrets do catch more but put more in the bag too if theres a good number of rabbits around. We had them in plague proportions till 2 years ago. Just my personal preference that works for me. I also keep the smaller types for the undiggable types of ground.

• Like 1