Grand Canyon Bison Cull

You'd probably be on foot for most of the Grand Canyon cull...

good luck on that then LOL

how big an area is the hunt ?

the herds in canada roam for hundreds of square miles, Zero chance without a vehicle or horse

i would have to check the hunting regs but i am sure you cant carry a damn rifle on anything

apart from your shoulder

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A colleague sent me this.   Sounds a good opportunity and I applaud the US authorities for using sportsman to achieve conservation goals. In the UK any such job would almost certainly be carried o

From Blaise' ongoing terrier work thread I am led to believe that the French Department responsible for rural affairs will ask the hunt clubs to aid in culling in a similar way, though for disease con

A mate of mine has put in for it. He's native which he's hoping will help his chances of drawing out. He want's to use his bow!

the herds in canada roam for hundreds of square miles, Zero chance without a vehicle or horse

i would have to check the hunting regs but i am sure you cant carry a damn rifle on anything

apart from your shoulder

Surely you can find the herd from a horse or quad .and then hunt on foot from there

Also your going to need to pack out a 1 ton plus animal

No easy task with a vehicle a mile away.

No chance with no vehicle or horse

The wet skin of a bison alone is 2 hundred pounds plus

just googled kaibab plateau its 9200 ft highest point and 1152 square miles area .

thats a tough hunt on foot, be great with pack horses

Bear in mind it's a national park and that bison season is September through June, it'll probably be opened for culling in the winter. National parks forbid hunting, albeit this being a special case. It'll probably be on foot and snow mobiles. Sneaking up on them won't be an issue. Finding 500 animals in 1150 sq miles might be an issue though!

just googled kaibab plateau its 9200 ft highest point and 1152 square miles area .

Bear in mind it's a national park and that bison season is September through June, it'll probably be opened for culling in the winter. National parks forbid hunting, albeit this being a special case. It'll probably be on foot and snow mobiles. Sneaking up on them won't be an issue. Finding 500 animals in 1150 sq miles might be an issue though!
thats twice the size of England Edited by jiggy

apart from your shoulder

Surely you can find the herd from a horse or quad .and then hunt on foot from there

Also your going to need to pack out a 1 ton plus animal

No easy task with a vehicle a mile away.

No chance with no vehicle or horse

The wet skin of a bison alone is 2 hundred pounds plus

page 102 of the arizona hunting regs

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress/azgfd.wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/28135605/mainregs.pdf

you need, if you have time to kill, read some of the regs

thats twice the size of England

its about 737280 acres or roughly 32 miles by 32 miles

• Like 1

thats twice the size of England

its about 737280 acres or roughly 32 miles by 32 miles
its just as well I'm not a farmer buying fertiliser or I'd have a lot left over. I'm just trying to picture that area in my head 32 by 32 seems not too bad it's the size of one of our counties in Ireland but I still wouldn't like to walk it. Horseback maybe.
  • Like 1

save your money ...........shoot a cow

Better meat too

I'd disagree with that! :laugh:

Best to shoot a young bison

when my mate shot his bull.He gave me a box of wraped meat from it and it was very tough

Like chewing a leather belt Lol

He said he wished he hadn't shot a mature bull.

I am meant to be moose hunting with him at the moment.but I coudent make it this season .but will do next year.there early rut now

• Like 2

Best to shoot a young bison

Couldn't agree more. That's the paradox with a trophy animal, IMO.

The majority of the venison I've had, over here, has been taken from young animals. I think it's delicious. While I agree the older beasts can be tougher a lot comes down to the chef! ;)

• Like 1