Fac Application Query

another question about the fac application, Part B, Question 10, asks "Do you suffer from any relevant medical conditions"

taking that at face value I presume this means at the time of application and not any condition from 5 or 10 years ago.

Funny how these simple straightforward forms can appear so ambiguous.

thanks for the replies, after reading the Home Office guide I got the impression there was a 5 year cut off for relevant conditions but I suppose it depends on how serious the condition was, the individual and the issuing police force,

I had a nightmare with the same question and said no to any issues at the time of making out the form. However, not mentioning a spate of depression which stopped 12 months before I made an application came back to bite me in the proverbial. The question defo refers to the hear and now and the fact that they will contact the doctors means they will get all the info they need any way. But no, I got questioned and told in no uncertain terms that I should have mentioned it as it looks like I was trying to hide the issue. (I can understand the reasoning as no one should be handling fire arms who are a danger) I get that, but the question should be made clearer as to what they want you to put down.

Mention everything mate as it will help with the process. They did finally issue me with a section one and with all that I had asked for so happy days but is was a bit of a fight.

Good luck.

If you've had any kind of medical condition that's listed on the form (there should be a full list of relevant conditions in the attached notes), then make sure you're a member of a shooting organisation that offers licensing insurance before you apply, as these things can come occasionally back to bite you when they investigate your history.

Often it's all going to depend on the FAO / Force you're dealing with. A good FAO / Force will recognise when things are in the past / and or not significant if still with you. A bad one, might make extra demands they're not entitled to or simply refuse you even though the condition is not a safety issue. My advice, get insured, at the worst, you've got a years insurance for the whole activity, free magazines (depending on the body concerned), and telephone support when you need it. At the best, you've got legal advice and backup with your application and costs covered, (policy allowing), for any appeal.

• Like 2