Stock Breaking

From day 1, ive done my best with my dog amongst stock, but these past few weeks, shes been a fanatic for chasing out that's in the field, had her back on the lead and walked amongst the lot of em, but to no avail, today was the last straw for me, working some woodlands with the ferret, dog at my side, then bang, off she went spotted some cows , and what a fekin palava, she wouldn't come back, and caused distress to the poor buggers, nowt else I can do apart from belting her one, and im not prepared to do that, by the time she gets back to me, no good chastising her then, couple more outings, see what I can do, failing that, ive no option but to retire her from the field, she is a headstrong little bugger, and im struggling with her

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want a shock collar to borrow, pm me your address I'll post you one to borrow. Been there and done it with a terrier x spaniel I've got here not a nice place to be.

Ffs Keith sorry to hear that electric shock collar someone might be able to lend you one

Feel for you wish you were nearer would of took her of you for a we while and put her in with a tup lol

Got a terrier that was the same, I just took him out into the middle of the field and staked him out went and Sat down, the sheep and lambs came and surrounded him, did it maybe 3/4 times hasn't looked at one since.... Touch wood. Try tying her to a gate with cows in the field and let them come to her... Or if your in England maybe borrow a shock collar as a last resort. Hope she comes good for you pal. Atb dc

Really pissed off I am Dave, cant envisage spending the rest of my days out in the field we a dog at my side, but today, she left a warren full of bunnies in persuit of a field full of cows, and she give em some stick, charged em through fencing, and closed gates. its not the first time, if the farmer was about, he would have been in his rights to shoot her, I was again on my hands n knees at that warren, in thick undergrowth, nowt I could do

Got a terrier that was the same, I just took him out into the middle of the field and staked him out went and Sat down, the sheep and lambs came and surrounded him, did it maybe 3/4 times hasn't looked at one since.... Touch wood. Try tying her to a gate with cows in the field and let them come to her... Or if your in England maybe borrow a shock collar as a last resort. Hope she comes good for you pal. Atb dc

done all that mate, apart from the collar, but thanks anyways

Some are just a liability around stock no matter what you try i remember having a terrier who could not be broken..got a lend of a shock collar took him to a field with stock in it let him loose and as usual away he went like a bullet..waited for the right moment to shock him and he just kept chasing them whilst my finger never left the button infact made him worse! Try a 50 foot creance on him keep it well loose like hes off the lead let him take off and let the slack run like a fishing reel.. then just yank him back and a steady hand on him.

• Like 1

Sorry your having problems Keith. If you can get it up to Northerlite he will sort it for you and Casso on here gives sound advice too.

Still a young dog so shouldn't be a problem to get sorted, as it would be a real shame to retire her after all your hard work upto now.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Atb

• Like 2

I had a staff that would constantly grab cows ... the cows used give him some stick trampling him ramming him. Did it once in front of the farmer so I grabbed a piece of that blue pipeing they use for troffs and belted the thing till it let go of the cow befor the farmer could do anything worse ........after that the dog would grab cows and if it ever saw that blue pipeing it would grab hold that too lol some dogs just don't learn