Boss Update, Staghound Pup

co

Nice thing gotta ask whats coldblood mean? Bred from a line ?

Hotbloods are track bred greyhounds, staghounds are coyote dogs almost exclusively. Coldbloods are the slick coated running dogs bred for generations of worker to worker, no close up hotblood (trackdog) in them, can come in same litter as the "shags" or staghounds. Just casual terms, nothing written in stone. My stags have a little pit dog blood, but we don't do the x/8 to y/8 like you do because most of the crosses were done as desired for personal use, even as far back as 100-150 years ago. What worked lived to breed and what didn't.....oh well.

Would I try one of your beautiful bull crosses?, hell yeah. But I don't feel the need to try to recreate the wheel when dogs like these pups do the business--smart, fast, good eyes,great feet, bold hard dogs.

I just appreciate GOOD dogs that work as intended, regardless of origin. It's is just nice when you know the dogs behind your current buddies were fast hard dogs, like the black bitch in my avatar. Many of her descendants still catching game all over the country

• Like 4

Will he be used on wild cats?

Kitty kats?? No. But I have had them nail bobcats in the past.

the black female in my avatar, her brother (cowboy von's dog) anchored a mountain lion with two other staghounds back in the day. I believe you can still find that varmint calling video on here somewhere.

Unless they are on slips, you don't always get to decide what is coming in to a call. I think there is still a video a a bitch I bred named Gracie that Uphill doc had hanging off the butt of a bear as it climbed 15 feet up a tree, lol. Not usually first choice in coursing quarry. Also some of the UK lads that moved over here are catching pigs with dogs bred similar but carrying bulldog blood too.

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Do you find a difference in the robustness between the hardbloods and the cold bloods?

I do, hotbloods (track dogs) break down easy. All the guys from UK that i have met rate the staghounds' brains and good feet, overall toughness. You all probably don't believe some of the rough ground and frozen areas these dogs get run on.

--oh god, now I sound like one of those "my dogs are better than your dogs" kind of guy.Not the case, good dogs are where you find them.

However, on an interesting note, just about every UK immigrant to the US to a man runs staghounds of some sort here, not conventional lurchers, unless running strictly on our jack (hares), then there is going to be some degree of saluki involved. Or if running field hogs, there will be tough stags or added bulldog or pit x stag

Edited by badger
  • Like 2