My Hunting Set Up For This Year...pic Heavy Warning

here we go!!!

after all the tomphuckerey tuesday between landowners and damn truck hunters i headed off

into private land that surrounds a piece of secluded wildlife lands.hardly anyone goes there cause its foot access

only and the private landowners only allow certain hunters to travel thru their land.

30 min walk i i get to the field to spot the elk herd feeding.

bingo!!

so a stalked the elk about 100yds to be within 150yd range.

its now gone 5pm.i am tired and not really upto taking the shot.

so i left there.

wednesday i return,12.30pm i head back into the field and hunker down in the bush line opposite to where

i seen the elk.wind is in my favour.

just after 3pm the cow elk and calves come out of the bush basically straight in front of me(see pic below)

i wait and let more come out.there was around 10 cows and 8 calves.

i select the cow i want as she was most probably the biggest(didnt want to waste my efforts on a small one)

she turned broadside,now normally i am a neck/head hunter but this time i decided the boiler room

should be the place to hit.so i send a 165gr 308 at her.clack.round hits the rib cage.

damn thing just stands there.

herd now starts to run.

re chamber another,send it,miss.

re chamber,send it,miss.

she is still standing there,like WTF??

ok re chamber,re sight on base of head/neck,send it,clack.drops her.

yeahhhhhhh phucking pumped now.

flip her over,big exit hole in front right shoulder(i shot her on the left side)

big hole in the neck.

i tried to gut her she was to big to handle,so i walked back to my truck,went back to my mates farm and got him and a quad.

we returned,gutted her,top right lung was mashed up.

dragged her out and returned to my mates farm to hang up on the tractor and skin her out.

i have just quartered her up this morning and got her in my chiller.

here is some pics

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image32.jpg

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so i am an ex pat living in sask canada. the hunting here is excellent and i thought i would start my own thread of what i normally get up to every hunting season and throughout the damn fckn freein

here we go!!!   after all the tomphuckerey tuesday between landowners and damn truck hunters i headed off into private land that surrounds a piece of secluded wildlife lands.hardly anyone goes ther

heres an old photo of one of my best days 2 timber wolves and 2 coyotes    

Posted Images

thanks

this weekend going back down to pull out our equipment and find another spot to set up

for the forth coming deer season.

hopefully we will find a spot that we will find some wild pigs,hunting them is a blast.

i will continue to update on here as time goes by.

• Like 1

Please continue to update us as your season progresses mate,its very interesting,how long have you lived over there?My missus has a cousin somewhere is sask.

yes i sure will continue.

deer season next plus the added bonus of pigs which currently are scarce in this area at the moment.

then its coyote hunting all through the winter (ecaller, snow cammo and -25c weather)

plus me trekking through frozen swamps tracking pigs.

also got a friend coming down for late elk season so i will be with him again,so pics from that hunt too.

i am now into my 10th year over here.

hunting and fishing is amazing here.you have a serious amount of freedom with the outdoor life.

fishing license is $30 for the year and you can fish any piece of water you see.

but some of the rules are anally retentive,i wont bore you with them LOL

• Like 2

my mate called me today and said he wanted to get our stuff off the land the farmer

had a hissy fit over.

so we hauled out the tree stand,bait barrel and picked up every last corn stalk plant out of there.

i was even pissed at leaving the apples but hey ho.

so 1/4 mile away is more bush along the side of the swamp(see tree stand pic as its behind it)

we found three major trails from deer,moose and elk,so dropped the corn plants in between them.

also we can fell a couple of small trees and mate will dumped a 1200lb oats bale in there also(pic to come)

this will be a good spot as we know game is all over here,pigs use the bush as cover also.

image12.jpg

image22.jpg

• Like 3

well my fortune changes lol

just found out my old boss works at a local grain elevator,so i contacted him about getting some deer feed.

he replies come down with a shovel and bags and fill ya truck.

i just spent 30mins and came back with 350lbs of oats and 400lbs of broad beans!!!

free deer/pig bait cant be bad.

these are getting dumped down in maybe 3 locations tomorrow.

also going down and setting 2 cams up were i set up the tree stand.

so no pics til next week

img_4644.jpg

• Like 1

ripped down this morning.

dumped 2 bags of beans and 2 bags of oats.

trimmed back all the willows around the bait.

set up the cam,which is the same position i took the photo from.

you can see one major trail,there is two more close by.

the trails were well trodden down with elk

img_4646.jpg

• Like 1

well got a call off an ex boss of mine and just picked up 600lbs of soya beans.

if i can get an early finish from work friday,i am off to bag a shitton more.

you cant go wrong with free bait if youre prepared to shovel it.

looking forward to changing out the cam card this weekend and sticking another cam

up close by to cover the other trail.

• Thanks 1

finished work early yesterday,so shot down to the elevator and shovelled up

8 x 100lb bags of soya beans.ripped down to one farmers yard (got to keep em sweet) and dropped off 2 bags for him.

ripped to my mates and grabbed my 2 cams.dumped 4bags with him.

so got across fields,the bait had been nailed by my initial thoughts.game trails everywhere.

swapped my mates cam out for mine and stuck another cam 50 yards back from these pics

considering atleast moose got plugged two weeks ago there seems to be no shortage of them here.couple of different buck whitetails

are hanging around.the bigger one showed up on our cams late last year,right after deer season had finished lol.

he a smart one.i would like leave him another year maybe two as his rack will be crazy.

caught one pig scuttling thru,you can just see his ear.i would make the assumption its a boar looking for sows.

stc_0770.jpg

stc_0488.jpg

stc_0478.jpg

stc_0413.jpg

stc_0349.jpg

stc_0292.jpg

stc_0283.jpg

stc_0167.jpg

stc_0007.jpg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, DanielG said:

Thats a cracking whitey ted !  looks like his neck is swelling up

i wreckon about 175" ?  I would defo shoot him without a second thought LOL

yeah i know he is worth dropping but i wonder how he would be next year?

he did well not getting shot last year as i had him on a cam 2 days after deer season had finished.

here is one of the two pics from last year.

deer season doesnt open up til nov 20th for 2 weeks were there cams and bait is but up in the local

wildlife management zone it opened nov 1st for 6 weeks.i took a drive up there,30mins away.

this place is huge,absolutely massive.in here is whitetail,bear,coyote,wolf,elk ,moose,cougars.here is a couple of pics after i had

walked down a trail of thick spruce trees to were it opens up a bit.these WMZ ,you cant just drive in there and start hunting.you need tags/license to be in there

with a firearm/bow.you cant hunt wolves/cougars/coyote,everything else has its season/tag.

img_4662.jpgimg_3956.jpg

img_4661.jpg

• Like 2