My Hunting Set Up For This Year...pic Heavy Warning

Please do keep contributing. It's ambush hunting, which is still hunting.

I personally prefer spot and stalk but I don't consider sitting out in a likely spot a lesser method. For me the most rewarding hunting is when I have done my homework and an intelligent approach pays off, the day of the kill may be the easiest part but it's rewarding nonetheless. Hours and hours spent contemplating my next session in the field and if baiting might get me a result then baiting will be used.

What will extraction be like. I assume you have ATV access?

I'm following the daily updates of an Aussie, Adam Greentree, who is on a self guided back-country Colorado Elk hunt at the moment. Very different of course and looks gruelling! Each to their own.

extraction will be quad for now.

i was hoping the farmer would swarth his crop in the next field and we could get a truck to there.

when the winter comes and depending on how much snow we get,who knows whats going to be our plan.

a sled would be the only option as the nearest road is nearly 2 miles away

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so i am an ex pat living in sask canada. the hunting here is excellent and i thought i would start my own thread of what i normally get up to every hunting season and throughout the damn fckn freein

here we go!!!   after all the tomphuckerey tuesday between landowners and damn truck hunters i headed off into private land that surrounds a piece of secluded wildlife lands.hardly anyone goes ther

heres an old photo of one of my best days 2 timber wolves and 2 coyotes    

Posted Images

I'd be interested to have a look if you wouldn't mind telling me what to look for

It's easy enough. Download Instagram from the app store on your phone or tablet (or both). Set up an account. Then search for the people you want to follow and hit 'follow' on their account page. Then every time they post a picture it will be shown on your Feed page and basically you scroll through your feed to see all the new pictures and videos posted. You can like and or comment on them and also post your own for your followers to see if you want to bother doing that. It's not like facebook or whatever, there aren't groups and you don't send friend requests. Just pictures and videos on whatever you're interested in.

Depends what you're into but there are all sorts to follow from all around the world. Here's a few off hand that I follow.

adam.greentree

cameronhanes

rachelcarriehunting

pace_brothers

thefieldmagazine

biggamehuntingnz

sterling_extreme_outdoors

team_fate_outdoors

Edited by Born Hunter

ok headed back down tonight to meet up with a friends friend who has a bull elk tag.

bull elk season opens up 6am friday 15th sept.

so we ripped down to change the card to see whats on it and do a fair bit of scouting in the area

for him.

seen one spiker bull on his own,i am thinking it was the one from a week ago on the cam.

found a few tracks were the elk had cross a gravel road.

drove down the gravel road a bit further and bingo........Mr 6x6 bull elk and his Ho's in the alfalfa field.

not sure WTF went on but they did a runner through two fields and back into the bush.

mate is heading there for just before daylight to see if they try and have a feed at dawn.

anyways here is a few pics off the cam and i only had 54 this week.

still no fckn pigs

pict0044.jpg

pict0031.jpg

pict0025.jpg

pict0024.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pics!

What's you attitude when it comes to choosing an animal to kill? Do you prefer to kill a mature animal that has had his life and also is considered a better trophy or do you want a younger animal that is better for the table?

Born

In n America sometimes you don't get a choice on animal age

In bc were I lived

You were only allowed 2 point bull moose

Elk has to be 6 points minimum

Mule deer has to be 4 point minimum

It was done to make it harder to harvest a animal

• Like 2

Nice pics!

What's you attitude when it comes to choosing an animal to kill? Do you prefer to kill a mature animal that has had his life and also is considered a better trophy or do you want a younger animal that is better for the table?

i have a cow draw elk tag this year.

so i will plug a cow without a calf at her side.

i have no choice.

the friend who is down would really like to shoot the 6x6 as he is a trophy elk.the spiker bull will do if he shows up too.

you get drawn every 10 years or so,or longer in some peoples cases.

• Like 3

update saturday 1.30 pm canada time

so after seeing the 6x6 bull thursday evening,we spent all day friday trying to locate him and the herd.

no damn joy.

it looked like they went into this huge peice of bush swamp.

we checked the game cam yesterday and NO elk ffs.

he used my tree stand first thing friday morning and 5 moose just sauntered by him

in the meantime my phone hadnt stopped with huge bull elk getting plugged all around us.

if i get chance i might post up the pics.

so my friend goes back out 5am this morning,legal shooting time is 6am.he gets on the alfalfa field behind the bales and starts

calling the elk.20 mins later three bulls come rocking out of the swamp and headed straight for him.

he had the 3 within 80 yards of him BUT he couldnt shoot as it wasnt legal hunting time.

bloody knobhead for calling so damn early lol

anyways he is still down there and hopefully he can call one out this evening,if not first thing tomorrow morning.

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 2

just back from dumping another load of corn plants.back of my truck was full again.

so changed out the card in the cam.just 43 pics in a week.

not sure why things have slowed up a bit as the weather has got cooler here.

no real hunting pressure on any of the animals around here either

pict0041.jpg

pict0022.jpg

pict0004.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

i changed the SD card last weekend and the normal elk had trotted by(not posting the pics as its a repeat of the above)

no deer

and still no fckn wild boars.

this unbelievable since the temps are now hovering around 0c most nights.

a friend who is around 8 miles south of me has 20-30 boars coming in and absolutely nailing his bait pile,which he has down for deer.

he is having to bait every two days to make sure the deer have food.

7 days time and i am out for my cow elk.starting to get sleepless nights LOL

• Like 2

Keep posting them pics buddy.

ok i will

my mate changed out the cards yesterday.

just 11pics on the cam of a doe and fawn.

i set up another cam for an experiment which has failed miserably.

last year i dumped the carcasses of 40 geese in a treeline(i take all the meat off the birds and freeze it)

i went back two days later and not one bird was there.so we was thinking the wild boars were taking them.

we know they use the treeline as a trail form a to b.

so this year i stuck birds down and a camera.......zero pigs but there is other critters on there.

i will get the pics of my mate and post em up

• Like 3