Starting Small?

Hi All,

I have two kits starting their first season this year, I also have an experienced Jill. I have always used experienced ferrets so this is my first time entering a kit for its first time.

I see a lot of people advise to start kits in small warren first....this issue I have is on my permission there simply isn't such a thing as a small warren; they are all at least 10 holes.

In this situation what do people advise? I was hoping that entering the kits in with my experienced Jill, one at a time, would be ok regardless of the size of the warren, what do people think of this? Or is it essential to start small???

Cheers

They will be sound going into it with the older jill, as long as their not skulkers or you could be in for a wee wait to get them back. If 10 holes is your smallest warren on your ground theres not much you can do. Most of my kits start on big sandy warrens where its 30 plus holes.

Most of my permission hasn't got no such easy small setts, I like to either get a positive mark from my lurcher or see rabbits drop to ground, that way your half way there then enter the kits and just let their natural instincts kick in and let them explore the warren, once they come out don't rush to pick them up just let them come out of there own accord, I also prefer where possible to use longnets that way every time they come to a hole entrance there not getting tangled up in purse nets,

• Like 1

Collar them all up and let them go pal, I took 4 young Jill's and a couple of young hobs to Scotland few seasons ago, 100 plus holes, no problem at all- I ended up digging the one hob at 10 foot lol attached to his rabbit, atb dcpost-99494-0-22035500-1504208928_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-09003300-1504209055_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-51567300-1504209269_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I allow one ferret per ten holes so by my reckoning your jill should work the burrow herself so as said collar them up and let them go . i like to keep a few ferrets so i can give kits the chance to start as slow as they like but last year i got a kit off of dogger and first day out she went like a veteran just watch them and if there tired lift them out the road but let them rag any dead rabbits as long as they want too

• Like 2

10 holes is plenty small enough, I am lucky if I ferret anything less than 30 and often 100 plus and my kits tend to just get on with it when entered. If they are decent working stock they will work just give them a bit of time and try multiple holes if need be. Good luck I am sure you will be fine.

• Like 1