• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth. I've got one and love it. My shooting buddy also wants one and can't find one. He eventually went with Livens who threw in a spare mag I believe but blew smoke up his ar*e re the delivery date. My pal was expecting it bout a week ago but got a phone call to say it's been delayed til mid October.

I had a good conversation with Edgar Bros (the importers) the other day and they don't know when but hope before mid October. He did say the caliber is going strong and they have a lot coming including 69 t/holes alone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a .17 Hornet. I love it, but it does have one main drawback ... wind. If you are happy to get used to reading the wind then go for it. Personally I don't bother taking mine out on very windy days. Even on the calmer days I rarely use it past 200m. It only takes a breath to push it off target at this distance.

Another thing to consider is ammunition. I would only pick up this calibre if you are prepared to reload, or can guarantee a reliable supply of factory loaded stuff.

:thumbs:

I only head shoot rabbits at night so about 150yds is about it for me. Don't need more than that, I agree about the reloading. With care and fireforming the price per round comes down to under hmr and yet the caliber is so much more versatile. I go out with 17gr and 20gr Vmax loaded for fox and distance but I'm half way to finding a load that's somewhere near 2.3 gr Trail Boss behind a 20gr Vmax or 2.6gr TB behind a 17gr Vmax for bunnies out to maybe 140yds but much quieter than hmr and reloadable.

Won't pretend that reloading is a breeze. Nothing hard about it, just fiddly. With so few kernels of TB I weigh every charge just to be sure but that will never put me off my 17 Hornet.

• Like 1

I use 25 grain pills these days and shoot anything from rabbits to foxes with it. Obviously, correct shot placement is critical, especially with rabbits! :laugh: . Don't expect to see much left unless you do head shots.

I haven't tried the lighter TB loads, but I will when I get time. At the moment I'm using 12.0 grains of Lovex D063 with the 25 grainers. I'm getting a MV of around 3400fps.