Won't Connect

Hi guys, bit of advice needed my Lurcher bitch doesn't seem to want to connect with game.. she will chase and get up close enough but pulls up at the last minute.. she's just turned 12 months so I know she's only young, will this come in time or is there something I can do? Thanks

If it's pulling up there's deffo either something wrong with the dog or it needs a little bit longer some dogs are thick as shit til there 2 I don't like to Waite that long personally but if your happy with waiting then see what comes of the dog

Barky. Sounds like basic training problems to me. Personally I would get a dummy wrapped in rabbit skin and encourage the pup to both pick it up and give it to hand. I always used a narrow alley of some description to stop the dog running round me. Gentle encouragement and plenty of praise at all times will win the day. Good luck. Jok.

• Like 3

Haha colliex bitch exactly the same wouldn't pick up anything then one day at 15 months old it just clicked, some dogs just need abit of time most pups Iv had won't look at a dead rabbit but skycat on here gave me advice before her pup pulled fur through there kennel don't hold it tight and as they get more confident hold it tight and make them pull at it

• Like 1

Mentally not ready mate you'd be far better off letting her watch other dogs for a bit without running her double up as she don't know what's expected of her. You could continue with retrieve training but I'm guessing as your trying to enter her she's already mastered that time An patience is the key fella some take longer than others so there's no need to rush

• Like 2

It's a conifidence thing,

And when she does connect don't be in a panic to grab the first off her ,

The first will cause her a lot off excitement which probably means she might do a run round , hang tight

• Like 2

I've a 13 month old whippet she's not striking picking up.

I've been lamping with her only slipping her on the sitters.

She's mad keen to chase, I was teasing her with a dead rabbit, still warm she was ok with picking it up, I'm hoping it will just click with her, she's keen enough.

Edited by kennymc

Ive just started my bull x hes 22 months old picking rabbits up for fun also had teeth with another dog but he pulls em shakes em then stands off n let other dog do its buisness maybe hes not going to make grade or needs time but time tell

Ive just started my bull x hes 22 months old picking rabbits up for fun also had teeth with another dog but he pulls em shakes em then stands off n let other dog do its buisness maybe hes not going to make grade or needs time but time tell

maybe he needs to run himself he is obviously use to the other dog helping him would you take a bite if you no some other idiot will lol try him himself and you will see
  • Like 1