I was talking about bolts in the country Neil

as for 4 or 5 terriers being in I haven't seen that

I couldn't imagine putting 4or5in would give you more chance of a bolt as for jack Russell terriers they are up there

I picked the brains of a local legend up there a few years back and he sent a lot of black terriers to Wales England and Ireland years ago and they all had white terriers in their make up

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The famous terrier or dog thing is an American thing and , sorry, but 99 % of the Yanks have the whole working terrier game arse ways. And I've been corresponding with American terrier men since 2001

I'm sure that's the picture that was put up off Toddy

Some f***ing hypocrites on here. No matter what pictures go up somebody complaines iv seen worse pictures in books that lads on here read like fukcing Bibles. It's a hunting site. Get down off yer hig

Posted Images

OK goat you got me there pal, we all have days when you get a mark, put the shovel in the ground and quarry shifts, so long as I've only gone down a foot or 2 Id class that as one hole lol.but I won't ever drop in another dog... Not so long as I got a hole in my arse. Atb dc

It happens...being 6 inches away is worse. We've all been there...wont be the first won't be the last.

The coniston had a joint meet in mid Wales one day...the terrierman for the local pack entered a terrier and bolted a fox pretty sharpish and looked to know his onions along with his Jackie jumper ..same in the next earth. But the one in the next earth went down a bank and got back in...i seen dillydog that day and he mentioned the doubling up...it wasn't until the 3rd mark i saw it and from the 3rd to the 6th time that day the hounds marked more than 1 terrier was entered....da f**k?

• Like 1

1 dog 1 hole... let's not fib now there is times when we all have to cheat...try doing it for a pack, when it's going good it's great but your right about the bsckstabbers. If you have confidence in your terriers and yourself you won't fold under pressure...some of the best terriers iv seen are in hunt kennels. Untin is the job...stoppin is the fun. It's a shame the ban f****d everything up

Couldn't agree more. Hunting is the job and stopping is the fun. Ime in full time service and as long as your confident in you and your terriers ability then you shouldn't fold with the pressure and believe me there is plenty of it. Alot also depends on how understanding your huntsman or master is. And some of the best terriers I've seen are in hunt kennels it's horses for courses ime full time with a pack but Ile work my terriers anywhere bolting to guns, hunting digging whatever I love it all

• Like 2

I know of two very well known pros who wouldn't think twice of doubling up .Had a lucky escape from using a dog last Autumn that is used doubled, owner full of shit and luckily backed out at last minute .Despite what we all think happens there are lads with substandard dogs that only stay when doubled up .It's cringy and embarrassing to watch BUT it does seperate those that make do, very clearly, from those who want the best and except no other .

There's a local hunt terrier man near us total knacker doubles up there was talks of 4 dropped in an earth after they dug 3 holes for nothing lol. Suppose it's nice to work them as a full litter at once

Good yin. Pmsl.

Your probably right Mr dabhands,had a few days out with a small pack on foot, but I don't like being rushed or having to answer to others, if I'm using my dogs it will be done my way, don't care if it takes a dog hr or 2 to bottle them up, the final outcome is the same, 1 dog 1 hole. I've never been one for being in the click, every time I've allowed myself to be sucked in... I've been shat on from a great height. Obviously there's lads like yourself who do things different but I prefer to be in the company of 3/4 people max, alot easier to suss out who's talking shit behind your back then. I try not to concern myself with what others get up to, only how I conduct myself. Can't get my head around the jealousy in the terrier game, can bring out the worst in folk. Couple of weeks and we can all fill our boots. All the best for the coming season. Dc

And this thread is a classic example of the jealousy in the game.

Everyones talking about the cowboys within and no ones mentioned that some of the best work their terriers for packs, amateur or professional.

Believe me, a terrierman for a good mounted pack HAS to be a better terrierman than one for any of the footpacks.

There's no better feeling than bolting one, under pressure, in the direction wanted and hounds still screaming an hour later on him because your bolting and last nights or this mornings hard work has paid off and a shake of the hand, a thank you and a pint or two bought for you that evening is enough praise for any terrierman who gets on with his job nice and quietly.

As for saying hunt terriermen double or treble them up ? I'm not saying it doesn't happen but anyone who's two weeks in the job will know that that means dead foxes. No good.

And at the end of the day good fox dogs are not hard to find. In fact, they're common.

The lakes were the place to go to see a fox bolted

sadly you cannot now with the ban but im yet to see a better sight

a pack of fell hounds coming down the fells makes the hair stand up

Haven't the packs in the Lakes not got a big reputation for sticking 3, 4 or 5 terriers in to bolt one or have I been told lies and have I stepped on the toes of some legends.

As for the Lakes being the home of the Fell terrier (quiet rightly too) but did some of the Fell packs not rely on Jack Russells to get the job done ?

That's Shropshire you're thinking about Neil, last time I went with the pack the goat was talking about I saw three terriers dropped, all failed and it was a hound that finally found the fox in hole (one of three) the terrier man had walked away from...........you couldn't make the shit up

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...