Favourite Big Game Animal

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How would you know? The same way the antis know what we do is I suppose. On a thread about big game hunting, try showing a bit of respect eh.

Has anyone stopped to consider, maybe we view the big 5 (or 8 ?) differently as we don't have them in our country. I was once told I was wrong for shooting rabbits in the numbers I did, by a shoo

My merkel side by side with what was an angry buffalo

Posted Images

Halo Stag 75, I have to tell you, what I like the most about eland hunting is when you get close to the heard or that old lone bull, you can hear him walking, no matter how thick the brush is. That unique clicking of an old eland's hooves is something special.

• Like 1
On Monday, July 02, 2018 at 15:55, Born Hunter said:

No, I've not hunted or even been to Africa. I've not hunted outside of the UK. Trying to organise a trip o New Zealand though.

Born hunter if you ever what to try out SA, I can help you out with any questions and worries you do have...

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, delboy_187 said:

As far as I'm concerned it ain't hunting when you've a gun .it's just killing tho isn't it . rhino buffalo elephant etc etc any animal in fact it's just a case of finding one 

:laugh:

• Thanks 1
On 05/07/2018 at 13:51, delboy_187 said:

As far as I'm concerned it ain't hunting when you've a gun .it's just killing tho isn't it . rhino buffalo elephant etc etc any animal in fact it's just a case of finding one 

Pheasant shooting ? 

Fowling? 

• Like 1
On 5 July 2018 at 13:51, delboy_187 said:

The makers of Bambi, Jungle Book and the Lion King have a lot to answer for....... 

On 5 July 2018 at 12:38, Savanna said:

Halo Stag 75, I have to tell you, what I like the most about eland hunting is when you get close to the heard or that old lone bull, you can hear him walking, no matter how thick the brush is. That unique clicking of an old eland's hooves is something special.

These were in the Kalahari so on soft sand which deadened a lot of noise. But yep, I have heard them in the Eastern Cape. 

On Thursday, July 05, 2018 at 14:51, delboy_187 said:

Okay so I have to ask, what do you consider hunting?? 

Trapping and killing animals..either by tracking or (Persuing in your case)an animal killing it by dog or by trap,spear,bow for food consumption like bin done for thounds of years or to iliminate pests predeters . .ye know when the odds are 50/50 nice and Evan the animal gets away and lives or gets caught despatched and eaten  .. not driving around a game reserve or what ever the fcuk kulling trophy animals ffs 

Trips an all organised for you prices on what animal you want kill. Trip a consists of this trip b consists that trip c consists of what ever .....100000000% garenteed what you ask for before set  out.......THATS WHAT YOU CALL HUNTING IS IT ....

• Thanks 1

The thing is with pics of lions and elephant with some useless slob standing next to its corpse dosen;t paint a good picture in general of hunters,of who 9 out of 10 find this type of thing distasteful, so you can only imagine what the general public think of it.Its a draconian pastime from an era most want to forget and is going to spell the end for genuine dogmen and hunters who are helping the environment and famers thin out pest species

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:17, Stag75 said:

The makers of Bambi, Jungle Book and the Lion King have a lot to answer for....... 

But only a fraction of what big game hunters have to answer to.What were cartoons making out animals were nice,god forbid.

17 hours ago, delboy_187 said:

Trapping and killing animals..either by tracking or (Persuing in your case)an animal killing it by dog or by trap,spear,bow for food consumption like bin done for thounds of years or to iliminate pests predeters . .ye know when the odds are 50/50 nice and Evan the animal gets away and lives or gets caught despatched and eaten  .. not driving around a game reserve or what ever the fcuk kulling trophy animals ffs 

Trips an all organised for you prices on what animal you want kill. Trip a consists of this trip b consists that trip c consists of what ever .....100000000% garenteed what you ask for before set  out.......THATS WHAT YOU CALL HUNTING IS IT ....

That's a contender for the most naive post written in 2018 so far. 

I hunt deer in the UK. Legally I have to use a rifle of specific calibre depending on species and country. Whilst I deffo have the fieldcraft to get within distance to throw a spear or use a bow it's illegal. Everything gets consumed and we have government scientists advising that we're not culling enough deer in certain parts of the UK.

It's easy to justify, ethical and needs doing. Bambi doesn't just trot out in front of you and stand broadside though.....

There's very little opposition from the public too. However if we tried it your way allowing a pack of dogs to chase down and tear an animal to pieces slowly I think you'd find that the public would see it as barbaric as they do fox hunting. But in your case, who is the hunter, you or the dogs? 

As for your comment :-

"Trips an all organised for you prices on what animal you want kill. Trip a consists of this trip b consists that trip c consists of what ever .....100000000% garenteed what you ask for before set  out......."

Thanks. That brought back a lot of memories of sitting out under clear African skies waiting for bushpig. A species no outfitter will guarantee. It also brought back memories of Vaal rhebuck and Cape Grysbok hunting. Species you might not even see on some trips. The former living in mountains, so a truck ain't much use there! I'd love to see how successful some of you antis would be if you tried! 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

The thing is with pics of lions and elephant with some useless slob standing next to its corpse dosen;t paint a good picture in general of hunters,of who 9 out of 10 find this type of thing distasteful, so you can only imagine what the general public think of it.Its a draconian pastime from an era most want to forget and is going to spell the end for genuine dogmen and hunters who are helping the environment and famers thin out pest species

Last week Namibia have made it a condition of all hunting permits that no trophy pictures be posted on social media. How on earth they can police this I don't know. 

Namibia is often used as a great example of managed hunting. Not only are their species numbers managed they ensure that revenue from hunting goes back into the local communities. They are the first country to suggest this. 

namibia.jpg