Allergic To Dogs

I've been allergic to dogs since a kid. Its manageable but annoying so couldn't have a dog in the house. Just wondering if anyone with allergys ever kept a dog in kennels or tried a so called hypoallergenic breed if they exist? I hear bedlington are supposed to be good with allergy?

Cheers Jack

Decent air filters/purifiers help. You can buy them on Amazon from cheap all the way up to expensive.

Removing carpet and installing tile, or wood, flooring makes a huge difference too. It's easier to clean as it has no fibres to trap the dander.

If your allergies are really bad you can buy reusable dust masks for the days it's serious.

As far as hypoallergenic breeds go, I'm not convinced. Mrs Jones struggles with all of them.

With all of the above, I reckon the climate you live in will exacerbate any issues you might have with all the other elements in the air (mould spores, etc) but even with our desert climate we've never been able to completely eliminate the problem. We cannot kennel, due to the local wildlife, but we're willing to put up with it.

@mush would be interested in how your immunotherapy turns out. It's a potential solution we've only just discovered. :thumbs:

I've kept a kennel of working dogs (various breeds) since I was 11yrs old.

I've always been allergic to them (itching, sneezing etc.) if I spend to much time close to them, ie, petting, clipping, brushing them, when I clean the kennels out etc. Or if I bring one or two inside for awhile.

I work around it and shower after I've been out with them.

• Like 1