I know this might sound stupid but I saw it on the Telly years ago. This bloke was trying to find the nest of some sort of flying insect. Can't remember what it was but what he did was tie a piece of cotton around the insect. This impaired and slowed down its flight and he was able to follow it and find the nest. If you could catch a wasp and tie a piece of cotton to it you'll be sorted. I'm actually pissin' me self laughin' as I type this because of the mental picture of stung fingers. If you do try it set up a camera and film it. If you were to actually get it to work,....well!,...legend!

Bloody wasps has finally found my ferret hutch and are feeding off the remains of there meals i'm thinking there must be a nest nearby but im the same cant find it but there's no way im tying a cotton thread round them to track them i spray them with wasp spray and am i right in thinking any i spray but dont kill they will be killed when they go back to the nest as they will smell different ?

Ive got jam jars with a hole in the lid with jam in them but they wont go into them for some reason ?.

Last season my rabbiting partner was having major problems with wasps around our ferret courts.

He told me that he could barely get into the enclosures for swarms of wasps :blink:

At first, I called him for being such a girly,.but when I visited the cages, he had not been exaggerating and I don't blame him for being a tad nervy... :yes:

I had a scout around and managed to find 3 x nests in the vicinity..these were dealt with ASAP,..and I returned next day and located another one.

We stopped leaving food in during the daytime and fed the ferrets after dark.

Anything not reduced to the carcass in the morning was removed.

Wasps, in quantity, ain't a joke,.they will sting both yourself and the ferrets,..so its best to keep the hutches bare of flesh, during the daylight hours. :thumbs:

• Like 3

That feather trick is used by a tribe to locate honey. They trap a hornet that is known to prey on the bees and tie a thread with a feather around its abdomen which slows the hornet down enough for them to track it through the forest to the bees nest which they then raid for the honey using smoke and lethal looking home made ladders.

I have used the WaspBane trap with success on nuisance wasps. Although this year it's very very quiet here in north Essex.

When you can sit in a beer garden on a sunny August day without seeing a single jasper, you know there's a shortage.

The wasps go for meat as this is what they feed the wasp larvae back at the nest. The adult wasps feed on the sweet sugary stuff the larvae crap out. When it gets cold the Queens stop laying eggs and go and find some where to hibernate. Because there are no eggs this means no more larvae. No more larvae no more sweet sugary stuff for the adults to eat. This is when they start to really go for rotting fruit, This hasn't got all the nutrients an adult needs and it also gets them pissed. This is why you are more likely to get stung by a wasp when it's from a nest that has no Queen. You often hear people say that wasps are a waste of space and God must have been bored when he created them. Actually wasps are very important. They kill vast amounts of pests and the Queens are very important pollinators. When she first comes out of hibernation she has no larvae she can feed from so she has to eat nectar from flowers, in doing this she acts as a pollinator.

• Like 2

Hello,

I am looking for some wasp killer or wasp control products online, does anyone suggest me a good website for wasp control?

thanks in advance :signthankspin:

I only ever use Ficam 'D' for wasps. It's not cheap and you need a duster applicator, I use a Birchmeier DR5, but it's the bollocks on wasps. It contains Bendiocarb, This stuff is nasty so wear a respirator.