Newbie,help

I've just started pigeon decoying,I've messed about over the years but decided to give it a good go.

I've brought a magnet with two air pro decoys,when magnet spins the wings don't go round(only had it set up in back garden) any advice? I know dead birds are better,just need to shoot a couple?

Also I have 12 flocked decoys,any advice on how to set them out? I've read a couple of books,just need some more advice.

I understand finding the flight lines are half the battle...just need info before I set out,get peed off and chuck the gear in the river ?

The main thing is birds on the field feeding, and seeing more coming in. If you see a group of birds on the stubble but no more coming in from anywhere, then put them off and see what happens. They may just go somewhere else because theyre not that bothered. The best picture to see is one that is building. Then you can watch flght lines to determine where to put the hide,but its the interest the birds have in that field that will determine wether to shoot it or not. Years ago I would watch a field for a week or so but nowadays I would shoot it pretty quick because I think things have changed.

Pigeon shooting is wild hunting and as such there will be disappointments and you have to take them.

I havnt had the air pro that go round just the thin papery ones that flap. I didnt bother changing to real birds because they worked ok on there own. Good luck anyway,youve picked the best time of year to start.

• Like 1

I always used to try to set the decoys out like a letter U ,V.C. etc but it doesnt matter as long as there's space in the middle for them to land and theres nothing obvious like a dead bird on its back , and as long as your hide doesnt stick out and your no peering over the top of it looking all the time you will soon find out your doing something wrong if birds coming in start to flare off

• Like 1