Multi Purpose Dogs?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a malinois bitch, nasdu qualified. Works security, the lamp, tracks shot deer, retrieves shot foxes catches rabbits the lot not fast enough for most stuff but does more than expected

I use Tess when beating/picking up. She's got a cracking retrieve and not to shabby on finding pricked birds (if a little hard mouthed on feather). Almost won a local field trial with her once! and sh

Mines got a additional talent if being a massive c**t

Posted Images

My father in law tells me that he was talking to a woman who had 5 pedigree whippets who regularly go beating. I couldn't imagine my whippet being any good for beating though if I'm honest

ive seen some very good lurchers doing that job, when i used beat at weston park, there was bloke there who used a collie x grey , and was great it didnt get to far a head , and knocked lot of birds up , ok it prob nail the odd sitter , but saw gundogs do that as well, and this dog was soft mouthed as well. my dog be no good, he be ok until a rabbit or fox/deer got up , then he be off out of sight :doh: lol . when we were beating we knocked few foxes up , so you never know what may pop out as well as birds :thumbs::yes:

• Like 1

Here's a few of mine doing her other job so far this season. To be honest it's made me far keener on stalking than I was before, I let her track any deer that don't drop on the spot, even if I can see where they fell. It's good practice for her.

post-10910-0-95617900-1502393160_thumb.jpg

post-10910-0-19549200-1502393216_thumb.jpg

post-10910-0-07453400-1502393300_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Seen one on a shoot in nth yorks picking up that would have put some retrievers to shame, the look on some of the guns faces was a picture i will treasure, stuck up twats didnt think that a lurcher was the dog that gentlemen should take on a shoot, but they must have taken note how versatile a well trained lurcher is,

• Like 2

Years ago my mate had a lurcher bitch he used for beating, all went well til she pulled a roe in front of the whole line of guns. She wasn't invited again which was a shame as she was getting quite good. She was the first lurcher I'd seen work and got me hooked

• Like 1

I know lurchers are supposed to be jack of all trades but has anyone's dog got an additional job along side the usual lamping, ferreting, bushing?

I use one of mine to find deer while stalking and track them after the shot if needs be.

I seem to remember someone on here using theirs as a wildfowling dog but can't remember the x.

Any other special talents?

I know of one that does the usual lurcher work but also works along side the gun and wildfowls. They guy has had the time to put into him but I have to admit he has done a great job. Funny thing is.......this is a handcock dog that he rescued off a lad that wasn't looking after it properly. It was nearly a year old when he took him on. He admits that with the time he has put into it that most dogs would be at the same standard. I disagree!

Here's a few of mine doing her other job so far this season. To be honest it's made me far keener on stalking than I was before, I let her track any deer that don't drop on the spot, even if I can see where they fell. It's good practice for her.

Very good that mate. She looks very whippety, how much whippet in her?

:hmm:Unless your Lurchers are being kept solely for selected jobs/targets, I do believe that working dogs are capable of many disciplines.

I only keep a wee 'un, so she is physically limited, but she enjoys the rabbiting,mouching/ferreting job, plus picks up birds on land and water. :victory: