Hi, as you may have seen over on the new members page I have just rehomed a springer spaniel. He is great, the only thing is that he is growling at people or dogs when they come near me. I have talked to a dog behaviourist who I know and she says that it sounds like he is resource guarding. Have any of you more knowledgable owners experienced this? Also he hates anything grooming related, any advice on getting him less terrified of being brushed or nails clipped etc?

Thanks in advance, Luke

Do people get a trial period with dogs like this or is it a case of "you picked the dog now f****n get on with it " approach

They are just a few issues bud , usually if a dog is expressing that much aggression , I would expect aggression to be its first point of call,

Resource Guarding my arse , I'm reading fear , my advise to you , is get that dog working , away from other dogs and people for the time been , let all that tension be channelled into flow

Is he running and barking at people to chase them away , like a dog with cattle or is he running violently at them to inflict damage or prey on them like a dangerous dog ??

Thanks for the replies. I am getting him booked on to a gun dog training class so hopefully hat will help. I had a trial period but he didn't show any of the behaviour he is. It's not aggression as running towards people and what you mentioned. It's growling and showing teeth so I just let him be for the time being and stop what I was doing. Thanks for the advice, I'll look to getting him working as soon as possible. Any advice for me at all regarding the training for him? I appreciate your help and advice.

Edited by Lukeraymont

At the very root of a good relationship is a feeling of flow ,

Human/human human /dog , we feel more relaxed about certain people because we feel we don't need to restrict ourself , emotional flow is basis of a bond , old army buddies , sparing partners , friends from years ago , we are able to express ourselves fully because we have reached an emotional level and understanding ,

The mutt is the same, if we charge out of the blocks at the start to teach manners to a pup we are corrupting a flow state ,

Manage him so you don't have to discipline him and when he starts feeling flow through work your the one who gets the credit for him feeling good

Maybe he's not a working dog , which if it is the case , take "Mushy " up on his training methods

What I mean is , pet dogs can fail to feel fulfilled in everyday life which in turn can lead to them been drawn into conflict as a way of letting off steam , look best of luck and trust a gut feeling

Water boarding can be successful too , if done right ??

Edited by Casso

Might pay to get him broke to the gun first see how you get on and go from there,lot work for nothing if he gun shy,although yes you did say potentially........just a thought I know feck all about it to be honest lol

If your not going to work him bud don't worry about training to the gun , could be a long process and maybe not what'll suit in the long run ,

Use a tug item to engage him, curtail his off lead activities to a long nylon line (10/15 metres,) hand feed while out, throw away the bowl Teach him to bark on command , and manage so he can't f**k up and you will have mechanically manipulated his prey making, group forming mind on to you through a feeling of flow.

If your not going to work him bud don't worry about training to the gun , could be a long process and maybe not what'll suit in the long run ,

Use a tug item to engage him, curtail his off lead activities to a long nylon line (10/15 metres,) hand feed while out, throw away the bowl Teach him to bark on command , and manage so he can't f**k up and you will have mechanically manipulated his prey making, group forming mind on to you through a feeling of flow.

Thank you for that advice. I'll take that all in to account and

Start working with these ideas. Would it be possible to pick your brains a bit more please over a private message?

Edited by Lukeraymont

Thank you for that advice. I'll take that all in to account and

Start working with these ideas. Would it be possible to pick your brains a bit more please over a private message?

Sure

• Like 1