Working Greyhounds

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was asked this question back in the 1980s in my Shooting News column...   Nothing much has changed...   The Greyhound (like the Collie) comes in various shapes, sizes, temperaments, etc, etc..

All your gone hear is shite shite shite, too weak, too fragile too fast no need for a grey, thin skin bla bla bla, but without them and they're sheer speed there would be no lurchers

Posted Images

i'll be running a bitch this season out of necessity,,im going to have to pick the ground for her though i think as shes a Kamikaze mentality...hopefully no mishaps in the season

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1

Some are better than others, a small, light bitch that stays is a completely different ball game to a big powerful sprinter. the big black dog, sprinter, in this pic got injured beyond repair hitting a fence, the little cream bitch worked well for a few years after racing.post-2025-0-26675100-1502096942_thumb.jpg

post-2025-0-26675100-1502096942_thumb.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 4

I was asked this question back in the 1980s in my Shooting News column...

Nothing much has changed... :laugh:

The Greyhound (like the Collie) comes in various shapes, sizes, temperaments, etc, etc..

Obviously, to take a canine athlete, straight off the track and to then, launch the bemused critter into the heady life of a working lurcher, is both pointless and often cruel....

The racing dog has no education other than the track, and although he may catch quarry, it is still a risky process.

Far better, if you want to find out,..is to rear a greyhound from a pup, allow it to learn the business, and then see how you go.

I had one for many years,..she was a good enough thing,...not what I now require, but great fun nevertheless. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8

Some are better than others, a small, light bitch that stays is a completely different ball game to a big powerful sprinter. the big black dog, sprinter, in this pic got injured beyond repair hitting a fence, the little cream bitch worked well for a few years after racing.attachicon.gifgreys.jpg

attachicon.gifgreys.jpg

nice dogs..

did conditioning them them ready for their working season (field not track) differ at all from what you now do with your lurchers.

Edited by reddog70

I had a small very light framed gh bitch in 80's from a rescue. Very exciting to watch & ran her daytime &she took very well to lamp but most injury prone dog I've ever owned hit cover at full speed & would jump fences when in pursuit but not on return!! Broke her neck trying to grab a rabbit as it went down a hole!!! Had 5 exciting years with her & a lot of vets bills. Atb