Falconry Experience Needed In Northants

Jerry71

Hi I'm looking to get a Harris hawk in the near future but i would like to get some experience first, i wouldn't jump in and get one without having some knowledge of training one.takeing on any animal is a big commitment and a hawk needs a lot of time put into training and general care, if they is any one with hawks near Northants who would be willing to give advise and maybe a few days out in field then please contact me atb Jerry71

I would b quite happy to pay, iv been ferreting and working lurchers for years and iv always been happy to take anyone out for a day in the field. It's all about keeping our field sport going and without new comers were will our chosen sport go. So iv always jumped at the chance to show new comers what a good day out we can have even though some days are a blank. It's all about getting out and being tuned in with what ever animal we have trained to hunt for us b that hawk dogs etc atb

Guest Navek

I would b quite happy to pay, iv been ferreting and working lurchers for years and iv always been happy to take anyone out for a day in the field. It's all about keeping our field sport going and without new comers were will our chosen sport go. So iv always jumped at the chance to show new comers what a good day out we can have even though some days are a blank. It's all about getting out and being tuned in with what ever animal we have trained to hunt for us b that hawk dogs etc atb

i can say 99% sure that if you have permission with rabbit hare pheasant duck or rook and you offer to take them on your permission then you'll get takers if there in the area , off someone with a Harris a day on rabbits ,,, or someone with a gos a day on pheasant / duck .. you'll soon get offers mate ,

As has already been said find out where your nearest club is and contact them ,I'm sure someone would take you out. You could join the International Falconry Forum and ask on there. If you were closer I would give you a day out rabbit hawking.

I've found the people with hawks/falcons etc with a background in ferreting/coursing/shooting hunting, in general, have much more skills with getting results out of their birds than the chaps with all the gear and no idea etc,which is quite a lot of the falconers I've seen over the last few years..they have ten grands worth of birds and equipment and all the posh clothes / 4x4s and when they actually get down to the hunting bit..they have no idea ! they have to buy a trained dog and get someone else to do the hunting bit for them..

If you can offer some land with game on...they should be paying you my friend for the privilege. Then when you meet a decent fella you'll be away.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply to my post, I'm looking at joining a club and offering my permission to the right kind of person to fly hawk on if they will give me some hands on experience. I have wanted a hawk for some time now and since the stupid ban I no longer keep fen dogs so my time is spent ferreting with my whippets and I'm looking to use a Bedlington to work with hawk, I'm a terrier and lurcher man at heart and would have to work a terrier for flushing game. Again thanks for all comments atb j

As has already been said find out where your nearest club is and contact them ,I'm sure someone would take you out. You could join the International Falconry Forum and ask on there. If you were closer I would give you a day out rabbit hawking.

I'm looking at joining a club and going on forums, if i was closer i would jump at the chance of a day out with you. Thanks atb j

No problem if ever you are down this way I will sort you a day on some very good ground.

I'm looking at joining a club and going on forums, if i was closer i would jump at the chance of a day out with you. Thanks atb j

No problem if ever you are down this way I will sort you a day on some very good ground.

Thanks for that offer mate, I know what you mean about folk who have all the kit but not the craft to catch, seen folk with half a dozen well bred whippets but they never get the chance to hunt and at the end of day the only way to learn is to get out and get on with it.

• Like 1