Dr John Gold

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It always amazes me when so called dog men expect there dogs to run well on cheep crap diets,running dogs are athletes and should be fed the same, when did you see a race horse trainer feeding is race

yes my mate reckons he fasts for 2 days then wolfs down as much sweetcorn as he can ,the result is it all sticks together and he said it feels great when he passes it.really massages his prostate. i

They probably both the same mate.

I once seen a dog break a track record fed on a cheap complete food and a little bit of cooked chicken mince......seen that dog go to other kennels and perform no better. That taught me if the dg has ability it will run no matter what. Not that I would feed a cheap shit food like ?

I believe the same even though i feed my dogs alot of meat and good biscuit i know of a bitch fed wagg and abit of chicken once a month if lucky and the odd pigs head the bitch is mustard not seen a dog keep up with her on the lamp at her game ever.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 2

Has anyone ever tried taste of the wild? I go batleys all time to get food for the kennels I work in seen this stuff never heard of it before lol

Nothing wrong with taste of the wild. But beware the added salt, keep plenty of water available. I used to use it as a mixer with minced game carcases

A lot dry food are just fillers,like the husk off wheat with chicken "meal" and cheap cooking oil to make up the calories .

The newer generation stuff like autarky etc etc use no grain and use meat as their main ingredient they are world's apart and go a lot further than the cheaper foods .

Whilst I agree raw is better all round ,if you want a dry food look at the better ones they work out cheaper than the price suggests as you feed no where near as much.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Try this site and look at daily cost for the weight of your dog, Asda's own works out more expensive to use over a grain free. And eukenuba and the like are worse for for dog than some of the cheaper ones

• Like 1

A lot dry food are just fillers,like the husk off wheat with chicken "meal" and cheap cooking oil to make up the calories .

The newer generation stuff like autarky etc etc use no grain and use meat as their main ingredient they are world's apart and go a lot further than the cheaper foods .

Whilst I agree raw is better all round ,if you want a dry food look at the better ones they work out cheaper than the price suggests as you feed no where near as much.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Try this site and look at daily cost for the weight of your dog, Asda's own works out more expensive to use over a grain free. And eukenuba and the like are worse for for dog than some of the cheaper ones

That's a good link that is mate.

You can compare any of the foods for example

Millie's wolfheart with a 5.0 rating for ingredient costs 70p a day to feed ,

yet bakers meaty meals cost £1.28 a day and is rating at 0.1 so shows the price on the bag ain't always the best indicator of how expensive a food is .

In saying that the multi coloured shite make cleaning up a lot more entertaining.

You can compare any of the foods for example

Millie's wolfheart with a 5.0 rating for ingredient costs 70p a day to feed ,

yet bakers meaty meals cost £1.28 a day and is rating at 0.1 so shows the price on the bag ain't always the best indicator of how expensive a food is .

In saying that the multi coloured shite make cleaning up a lot more entertaining.

that's what I'm on about earlier mate. U actually feed less of the good stuff. I couldn't believe it comparing it in the shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

Shepherd's choice 8 quid a 15kg bag shit is quite sold dog troths the lot.

Seems quite happy on it.

He still has raw 3 times a week even if I have to buy it.

My dog looked well on that for a few years. The odd stool was a bit lose though and he all ways gets a few tins of fish per week

26562813800_2a52634f1b_c.jpg

swapped him onto Arkwrights last year and his stools are better now for the most part. He does have a bit of a sensitive gut though. If I were to give him a big bone it would wreck him

Edited by terryd

Seems quite happy on it.

My dog looked well on that for a few years. The odd stool was a bit lose though and he all ways gets a few tins of fish per week

swapped him onto Arkwrights last year and his stools are better now for the most part. He does have a bit of a sensitive gut though. If I were to give him a big bone it would wreck him

Mine currently on gain 28 at the moment come march I will switch back to Shepard's choice again.

Seems quite happy on it.

Mine currently on gain 28 at the moment come march I will switch back to Shepard's choice again.

yea the cocker has been on shepard all his life and 11 now and flies around like a nut and looks fine

• Like 1

Seems quite happy on it.

yea the cocker has been on shepard all his life and 11 now and flies around like a nut and looks fine

If I could catch more game he would be on a raw diet, he seems a bit more bouncy since the switch to gain 28.

I also feed the odd tin of sardines with his dry, raw egg also.

Supermarket basics range do frozen beef and pork mince which is cheap.

I try my best not to just give dry day in day out.

I have to be honest at one point I did try and swap onto raw and started feeding 50/50 chicken mince and dry to wean him onto it. But he lost condition and for the first time ever had a dull dry coat. Admittedly I probably done it wrong and he needed more variety on the raw side. So I just got back on dry. He looks great so no point messing about