After Ratting

Hi,

Looking for some advice about how to clean a dog in the field after ratting.

Last night dog was covered in mites and fleas - would diluted dettol sprayed on after we have finished stop this? If not, what do you guys use?

Looking for a way to clean dog while in the field before heading home.

Ed

Hi,

Looking for some advice about how to clean a dog in the field after ratting.

Last night dog was covered in mites and fleas - would diluted dettol sprayed on after we have finished stop this? If not, what do you guys use?

Looking for a way to clean dog while in the field before heading home.

Ed

Was your dog covered in mites and fleas before hunting ?

How many rats did you's kill and was it yesterday ?

Just wondering, because it's not something that flairs up in an hour or two.

My advice = Have a barrel of sheep dip in the yard 24/7 and the next morning after hunting give them a dip.

We were in a pile of shit, literally. The whole place was moving with what looked like miniature woodlice - everytime we turned something over we could see them moving. The fleas could have been there from before but I doubt it as I keep on top of them pretty well, that and he live indoors so would have noticed I think.

• 5 months later...

Did you get an answer that works ? My bloody dog is always picking up fleas as he spends half his life head down rabbit holes, and always out ratting/rabbit/fox shooting with me.

fronline should be called wasteoftimeline.

Looking for solutions as he is giving them to my other dogs and the farm cats.

Niel Cooley, I had thought about sheep dip myself.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rabid said:

Did you get an answer that works ? My bloody dog is always picking up fleas as he spends half his life head down rabbit holes, and always out ratting/rabbit/fox shooting with me.

Bravecto tablets.

• Like 1
On 27/01/2018 at 13:20, Rabid said:

Rabbit fleas can't live on dogs they're host specific. Best to keep monthly doses of a decent spot on treatment like advocate. Any fleas the dog picks up will die when they bite.

• Like 2
On 27/01/2018 at 15:45, gnipper said:

Bravecto tablets.

Please please stay away from Bravecto it will kill your dog. 

We have lost ours only to find out later that it was the Bravecto. 

We lived in Holland and this has been on the tele over there with people asking for it to band even some vets too. 

Pits not just the dogs it’s affecting either. 

Please stay away from it 

Take em to a stream to get rid of the shit before you set off. When you get back rub a load of benzyl benzoate on the dog and let it dry on the coat under a lamp. I very rarely clean off a dog after work as they do a good job of cleaning themselves, but whenever it gets real dirty i just do the above. 

2 hours ago, stormyboy said:

Rabbit fleas can't live on dogs they're host specific. Best to keep monthly doses of a decent spot on treatment like advocate. Any fleas the dog picks up will die when they bite.

No idea where they keep getting them from, but he has them 24/7.

Been using monthly treatments, total waste of time and money on him, makes no difference at all, so I need to find another solution.its just him, the other dogs rarely have them, get the odd one then nowt so presumably the treatment works for them.

2 hours ago, Matthew Roots said:

Please please stay away from Bravecto it will kill your dog. 

We have lost ours only to find out later that it was the Bravecto. 

We lived in Holland and this has been on the tele over there with people asking for it to band even some vets too. 

Pits not just the dogs it’s affecting either. 

Please stay away from it 

I used Comfortis on my dogs, one of my pit/am bulldogs almost died from it,the other dogs were ok.Don't like internal flea treatments but what else can you use now.