Round Bales ?

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'.

You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses.

I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet to see a good earth dog that fails in bale, rocks or drains.

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'.

You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses.

I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet to see a good earth dog that fails in bale, rocks or drains.

You need to get out more then

seen a few good earth dogs that hate to walk on rocks let alone drop down through them 30 or 40 feet

Only worked bales a few times but spent lots of time on rocks

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'. You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses. I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet

That big dog made short work off them, long time ago now. A hound lurcher and a terrier, every walk was different but interesting.

Posted Images

In my original post I was referring to staying ability.

I meant I've seen dogs that would do an hour in an earth but the same dog would stop all day in a drain or bales or a rock pile.

A perfect example was a dog my mate passed on a couple of seasons ago, it was inconsistent in an earth. He gave it to a lad who mainly works rocks and got told a week later the dog had done 6 hours on a fox in rocks on its first time out with them.

In regards to actually manouvering inside the places Id agree and say a perfect earth working dog would be shorter in the leg and be heavier with it. Whereas good bale/rock dogs would be slimmer in the chest, light on their feet and a bit leggier.

• Like 2

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

There was a breakfast a coffee and 2 piss stops threw in there as well maybe that held us up lol. Yeah was down at it a few times good show plenty of decent lads. Tandragee isn't far from me used to love the heavy dogs class at it, as you say it was always big some amount off dogs there. Last time it was on I got pissed in the Paddock after the show ended up partying with the lads didn't get home until the Monday mornin, great crack. Shame they're not ran anymore.

Ahhh, The Paddock, that brings back some memories (especially the night I left it with a lad who got down on his belly and checked underneath his car before we drove away, it was still the time of the troubles,LOL) and before it was The Paddock it was called The Farmers.

And like you, I often went for a pint and didn't get home for a few days.

Good times.

Do you remember the weight pulling in Tandragee one year when two Bulldogs pulled the trolley with ALL the concrete blocks on it and we had no more blocks so a child was put sitting on top of the blocks and one Bulldog pulled it and the other didn't.

The same year a Bulldog slipped out of it's harness while pulling and flew straight into a well known Wheaten mans Wheaten dog. The Wheaten seen the Bulldog coming and grabbed it and shook it like a rat for the couple of seconds it took to part them.

Everyones jaw hit the ground, LOL.

why dont yas who went to the old show start a new one? ive heard of the old shows and been told they were a good day out. or what would yas say is the best to go to now for strong dogs? pm if required

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

There was a breakfast a coffee and 2 piss stops threw in there as well maybe that held us up lol. Yeah was down at it a few times good show plenty of decent lads. Tandragee isn't far from me used to love the heavy dogs class at it, as you say it was always big some amount off dogs there. Last time it was on I got pissed in the Paddock after the show ended up partying with the lads didn't get home until the Monday mornin, great crack. Shame they're not ran anymore.

Ahhh, The Paddock, that brings back some memories (especially the night I left it with a lad who got down on his belly and checked underneath his car before we drove away, it was still the time of the troubles,LOL) and before it was The Paddock it was called The Farmers.

And like you, I often went for a pint and didn't get home for a few days.

Good times.

Do you remember the weight pulling in Tandragee one year when two Bulldogs pulled the trolley with ALL the concrete blocks on it and we had no more blocks so a child was put sitting on top of the blocks and one Bulldog pulled it and the other didn't.

The same year a Bulldog slipped out of it's harness while pulling and flew straight into a well known Wheaten mans Wheaten dog. The Wheaten seen the Bulldog coming and grabbed it and shook it like a rat for the couple of seconds it took to part them.

Everyones jaw hit the ground, LOL.

why dont yas who went to the old show start a new one? ive heard of the old shows and been told they were a good day out. or what would yas say is the best to go to now for strong dogs? pm if required

What made the likes of Tandragee so good was not the venue, the showing or the beer, LOL, it was that it was a place for the cream of working dogmen to meet up once a year (and be nice to each other because the rest of the year we were all enemies, LOL) and with the cream of dogmen came the cream of working dogs.

IMO we'll never see those days again.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

In my original post I was referring to staying ability.

I meant I've seen dogs that would do an hour in an earth but the same dog would stop all day in a drain or bales or a rock pile.

A perfect example was a dog my mate passed on a couple of seasons ago, it was inconsistent in an earth. He gave it to a lad who mainly works rocks and got told a week later the dog had done 6 hours on a fox in rocks on its first time out with them.

In regards to actually manouvering inside the places Id agree and say a perfect earth working dog would be shorter in the leg and be heavier with it. Whereas good bale/rock dogs would be slimmer in the chest, light on their feet and a bit leggier.

good reply RH

I understand what you mean now some of the rock piles the daylight makes its way through the cracks and gaps in the stones do you think the dog stuck for 6 hours because of that?

• 1 year later...
On 31/07/2017 at 07:14, neil cooney said:

There's a hunting man in the North who with his small pack of hounds and lurchers accounts for 3 or 4 hundred foxes each season and if I remember correctly I think he told me a few years back that he had 30 out of roofs one year.

this is an interesting chat...had a man tell me the same that hunts with us in the season..would he happen to be a small ginger headed man by any chance

• Haha 1