Round Bales ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'. You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses. I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet

That big dog made short work off them, long time ago now. A hound lurcher and a terrier, every walk was different but interesting.

Posted Images

The lads used to run a good show down there a while back, always plenty off working dogs at it.

Remember that show,it used to be at the back of the pub,think the area was called kilmeaden.
That's right FM last time I was at there it pissed down, they'd to get a tractor in to tow most of the cars out of the field, they where all bogged in. Good show all the same.

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

• Like 1

Not many places about me that you could work bales compared to other folk, but we've put them out of roofs of old houses on a regular basis over the years. They hold at certain times depending on weather conditions and temperature. I mind standing with my back to the wall of an old stone cottage, I was in my late teens with my 7/8s grey 1/8th bedlington I had at the time, wondering what I was to expect. Window to the right of me another to the left. Waiting on a fox jump out of the window, usually they don't but it's not uncommon, I wasn't to know. A terrier was put into the roof from the rear, nothing for a while but you could hear the dog searching threw the roof. You where told to be quiet even approaching the building never mind speak, took a few mins then the terrier was on, few barks and you knew there was hunt in it. A fox ran around the gable of the house towards me, a dog was already on its tail. I held up. Just as well. A fox came out off the roof right over the top of my head and landed right in front of me. We killed 4 out off that roof that morning, 2 out of the next roof less than 100 yards away down the same lane. Some crack at the time. You'd be wasting your time trying roofs at certain times off the year, as they only hold under certain conditions.

Is it the same with working bales?

They where good times. It takes a certain type off terrier to run a roof mind you, not all terriers liked being threw up into heights threw windows or floorboards or unstable crevices, not natural surroundings by any means.

There's a hunting man in the North who with his small pack of hounds and lurchers accounts for 3 or 4 hundred foxes each season and if I remember correctly I think he told me a few years back that he had 30 out of roofs one year.

assuming he would he have guns with him too Neil?

I haven't hunted with them for a few years but always thought they had a gun or two out for those corners not suitable for a lurcher.
Must be different men these lads I know don't like lads shooting them.

would his name be s.t. if so he wouldn't have guns out no matter wat

• Like 2

Not many places about me that you could work bales compared to other folk, but we've put them out of roofs of old houses on a regular basis over the years. They hold at certain times depending on weather conditions and temperature. I mind standing with my back to the wall of an old stone cottage, I was in my late teens with my 7/8s grey 1/8th bedlington I had at the time, wondering what I was to expect. Window to the right of me another to the left. Waiting on a fox jump out of the window, usually they don't but it's not uncommon, I wasn't to know. A terrier was put into the roof from the rear, nothing for a while but you could hear the dog searching threw the roof. You where told to be quiet even approaching the building never mind speak, took a few mins then the terrier was on, few barks and you knew there was hunt in it. A fox ran around the gable of the house towards me, a dog was already on its tail. I held up. Just as well. A fox came out off the roof right over the top of my head and landed right in front of me. We killed 4 out off that roof that morning, 2 out of the next roof less than 100 yards away down the same lane. Some crack at the time. You'd be wasting your time trying roofs at certain times off the year, as they only hold under certain conditions.

They where good times. It takes a certain type off terrier to run a roof mind you, not all terriers liked being threw up into heights threw windows or floorboards or unstable crevices, not natural surroundings by any means.

There's a hunting man in the North who with his small pack of hounds and lurchers accounts for 3 or 4 hundred foxes each season and if I remember correctly I think he told me a few years back that he had 30 out of roofs one year.

I haven't hunted with them for a few years but always thought they had a gun or two out for those corners not suitable for a lurcher.

that's a fact

Took the county road home, them motorways are boring. Pity it's not hunting season or we'd have had dogs with us and hunted the whole way home. Atb.

carrigannura just on the ross road. Used to hunt that for years. Some dodgy earth's in that. All stone. Farmer don't leave anybody in anymore pity tho.
  • Like 1

The lads used to run a good show down there a while back, always plenty off working dogs at it.

Remember that show,it used to be at the back of the pub,think the area was called kilmeaden.
That's right FM last time I was at there it pissed down, they'd to get a tractor in to tow most of the cars out of the field, they where all bogged in. Good show all the same.
last show the Waterford Hounds done was few years back booth judged the terriers. Just outside kilmeadn. There was a good turn out but nothing like the ones before.

that's a fact
S.T. Is out plenty with guns ,hunts 12 months of the year ,prone too exaggerate numbers caught and telling wee white lies ,but nobody will tell him that lol :D

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

There was a breakfast a coffee and 2 piss stops threw in there as well maybe that held us up lol. Yeah was down at it a few times good show plenty of decent lads. Tandragee isn't far from me used to love the heavy dogs class at it, as you say it was always big some amount off dogs there. Last time it was on I got pissed in the Paddock after the show ended up partying with the lads didn't get home until the Monday mornin, great crack. Shame they're not ran anymore.

Back to the thread i was over with lads in UK in the mid 90s far as i can remember and we were doing some earths in the staffordshire area.We had a couple of good digs and then went on to another farm where there was a stack of round bales the likes i had never seen before on any farm in Ireland.They were at least 150 yds in lenght and about 60ft in width.The lad that took us there Nick had with him a russell bitch which i had seen dug to over with myself a few times so knew she could do the buisness.We also had a couple of lurchers with us and the farmer and his son also there with shotguns.The stack was covered on 1 side where there was a hedge close to it by the guns while the other was open ground into a huge field.The bitch was entered at 1 end and within seconds could be heard baying.We then heard a shot let off and 1 fox had been accounted for but the bitch was still in the stack and after about an hour we decided she had caught up with her quarry somewhere in the bales.The lads had only the old grey box so locating her was not easy but fair dues to the farmer he sent his son to go get a teleporter.He moved a few bales from the top at different spots along the stack until eventually Nick got a mark on the bitch it was then only a matter of lifting the bales out to reveal the bitch with a very dead fox,fermer was delighted as he had been losing both fowl and lambs in the wks prior to us been there but i have to admit he was very helpfull and had it not been for the teleporter we were in bother.

• Like 6