.22Lr Ammo, Eley Subs Or Winchester Subs ?

Hi guys,

just to get your differant oppinions on these two popular brands of ammunition!

So what do you guys prefer ? 40grain Eley subsonics or the Winchester max 42grain ? :hmm:

Ive done research on both of the brands of ammunition but what do you guys think for vermin hunting ?

Cheers !

• Like 1

whatever your rifle prefers is the answer.

personally I use eley as they they are very accurate in my rifle and also readily available.

both will do what you need them too in the field.

my advice would be get a box of each and see how your groups are.

• Like 2

Always used Winchester 40g but once did try Eleys as they were out of Winchester. They didn't seem and better or worse but I wouldn't get them again for 2 reasons. I didn't like the waxy feel of them and for me, don't know if any one else thinks this, they gave off a funny smell when you shot them.

I have a Magtech .22 semi auto, which preferred Eley subs, being quiet and very accurate, but in my area the Eleys became unobtainable and tried 40 grain Winchesters, which were a nightmare, misfiring and jamming. I then changed to RWS, which were as accurate as the Eleys, with no jams, but did not knock the rabbits down as well. I now can't get the RWS and tried the 42 grain Winchester. Slightly noisier, these don't jam and are as accurate as the RWS, more puff in the catridge gives a higher speed bullet. I did an in depth review, comparing the two on my blog. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/winchester-22-42-gn-subsonic-versus-rws-40-gn-subsonic-field-test/ .As a postscript to the blog, I am confidently taking rabbits at 60 yards and beyond with the new 42 grain Winchesters.

I have used Winchester Subs for years (25+) mostly because they were at worst ok and always available.

They say that Olin Industries who make them have changed their manufacturing location, and that they are

now slightly 'worse' than previously?

Well I don't know, it's a .22 rim fire cartridge at somewhere around £45 for 500, so not exactly premium stuff

to start with, so I tried a brick of Eley and a brick of RWS, and they both performed well enough for me, the

zero point was even there or there abouts.

So my opinion (for what that is worth), all of the above are perfectly suitable, none are significantly better than

the others, all are at the upper end of the price point.

Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep if I could only get one of the above in the future.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always used Eley, but tried the 42g Winchester last night for the first time and the couldn't see any difference in the grouping.

I don't know if the POA changed, as I had just fitted a different scope, but I will test that later this week with my few remaining Eleys.

The Eley have always cycle fine in my 10/22 provided it is clean, but the Winchester seemed to be cycling just a bit faster.

That could be my imagination as I know they are heavier, but I will load one magazine with each alternating and listen again.......

In my Magtech semi auto, the 42 grain Winchesters cycle well. On the same 50 yard zero as RWS subs, they were on average 1/4 inch higher on paper despite the extra weight, although of course they are also a faster bullet. Eleys were always my preferred bullet in the Magtech 7022, being quiet and very accurate, but unavailable locally. These Winchesters have more of a bark and are chest shot bunny stoppers at 70 yards.