• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is who we are. When you put on the jersey you are doing it for your village, your parish and your club. You are playing with your brother, relations and friends. Playing for a team that your father

Would love to see tyrone winning an all ireland this year for mickey hartes sake, not easy coming from a derry man lol, but just feel nobody deserves it more

Very little aggression shown in football nowadays

I agree mate, modern rules and refereeing have killed the game a bit imho but at semi pro/lower league level there still a bit of fire ;)

As for GAA, I watched the Dublin v Mayo games last year and really enjoyed them because that went at each other hammer and tongs......but by and large it's a bit to gentlemanly for me.

Still, that said, at least it's not as boring as rugby ! Lol

I watched a couple of those Jeff and Kammy things mate, thought they were really good and they show what an integral part of the community the local GAA clubs are.......if local football clubs could even get a little bit close to the GAA club in terms of facilities and getting in the youngsters then imho you would see an explosion of football talent in this country.

As it stands, they don't......they dont battle hard enough for the hearts and minds of young players, they just let the GAA take the piss.

I will say this, one thing Ireland gets very right is access to sport in terms of how cheap it is and how much is going on......if other sporting bodies other than the GAA actually put some effort in and didn't run things like complete amatures kids could really crack on here.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

It is who we are. When you put on the jersey you are doing it for your village, your parish and your club. You are playing with your brother, relations and friends. Playing for a team that your father and grandfather played for, your mother washed the jerseys for and made the tea and sandwiches. From the moment you can lift a hurl or kick a ball you are part of all that.

Its hard for other sports to compete with that tradition and that sense of belonging.

• Like 4

I watched a couple of those Jeff and Kammy things mate, thought they were really good and they show what an integral part of the community the local GAA clubs are.......if local football clubs could even get a little bit close to the GAA club in terms of facilities and getting in the youngsters then imho you would see an explosion of football talent in this country.

As it stands, they don't......they dont battle hard enough for the hearts and minds of young players, they just let the GAA take the piss.

I will say this, one thing Ireland gets very right is access to sport in terms of how cheap it is and how much is going on......if other sporting bodies other than the GAA actually put some effort in and didn't run things like complete amatures kids could really crack on here.

Got to say I liked the two bucko's.....good sense of humour.....

I think another 10-15 years and soccer be flying it over here.

Mick Wallace was doing great suff in Wexford till he went bust...

Edited by VOON
  • Like 1

not a chance, football has had every chance to make it here.at the moment league of ireland clubs are going under poor gates leading too players not getting paid.i see it with our local league of ireland club which i support and go and watch play.most local under age football clubs dont have a club house,the F A I are not returning the money to the grass roots in the same way the G A A are doing it.another thing is their is no loyalty towards a club young lads moving from club to club and they view that as a good thing.we here in ireland think a lot of the time that the grass is greener ont the other side with a lot of young lads influenced by what gose on in the priemier league.the G A A model works just drive through any county in ireland and you will see the finest of pitches and club houses around.

• Like 1

I agree with almost all of that Stonewall, you are spot on mate.

The only thing I don't agree with is players moving, I think good players should always try to better themselves and test themselves against the best they can find.....if that means a move then so be it.

I think the onus should be put back on local clubs and FAs to develope their clubs to a standard where players won't want to leave.

And that comes back to the fine points you make, investment in facilities, acting in a more professional manner by clubs and FAs......actually taking things seriously.

Great post mate.

• Like 1

what i see in a lot of the lower junior clubs in our county is lads just moving clubs too say that they have transferred.its like you have to do this,i agree with u 100% with regards the more talented footballers moving,but the lads that i see moving are average footballers that are all too influenced by the the one or two that make it to a good junior city side.i will put it in context our top primer league sides here in ireland are maybe division 2 standard in england,then you have 2 lower divisions than that,then you have the junior clubs that maybe have 5 lower leagues its here that i see lads moving from club to club,its like their living out a pro footballer dream if iam seen to be moving i must be in demand their for i must be good.

• Like 1

I get you mate.

I have followed the situation at Brey Wanderers, a decent local club but not getting the arses through the turnstile......Sligo Rovers seem to be having a good go at fighting for hearts and minds and are really putting themselves about in the community.

That said, football isn't about one thing......it's all a culmination of different things.

I'll mention one thing I see in this country and that is the standard of refereeing......it's fecking poor to say the least, they take all the fire out of the game and so for many make it boring (imho)

You get cards for absolutely f**k all here and that has to have an effect on the players and on how they play the game.........I have been around football long enough to know that, yes, fans want to see nice skills and ability but they also want to feel the fight, and the animosity and the tribalism that's gos with sitting in a stand watching your team.......that's what puts bums in seats imho

They need to see that fire on the pitch which they can't do if players are getting sent off for tackles that would be completely bread and butter in other countries leagues.

Football in Ireland needs to develope its own culture away from the GAA imho, it needs to start fighting for its place.

• Like 1

not a chance, football has had every chance to make it here.at the moment league of ireland clubs are going under poor gates leading too players not getting paid.i see it with our local league of ireland club which i support and go and watch play.most local under age football clubs dont have a club house,the F A I are not returning the money to the grass roots in the same way the G A A are doing it.another thing is their is no loyalty towards a club young lads moving from club to club and they view that as a good thing.we here in ireland think a lot of the time that the grass is greener ont the other side with a lot of young lads influenced by what gose on in the priemier league.the G A A model works just drive through any county in ireland and you will see the finest of pitches and club houses around.

It's come on a lot in the last 20 years....you don't have to hush the sheep of the pitch before a match nowadays, most clubs have a pitch these days.....

• Like 1