Buying Food For Feeding 2 Small Ponds. Does The Pond Need Clearing?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I have been shooting for about 15 years and recently joined a wildfowling club. I have my own shooting as well, local farms and golf clubs for rifle for rabbits and pigeons crop protection. On one of the permissions I have 2 small ponds. The farmer is happy for me to shoot both ponds.The smaller about 20ft x 30ft and the bigger 35 x 40ft. I have read a few previous questions regarding feeding and I had done this on a small back water running parallel to a river and done ok. But buying the feed was expensive. I was going to a local farm shop and buying them in bags. Think it was barley. Do you have any advice for where to buy it cheap? As a bucket a day if it's being eaten will start going quickly. Is it worth asking the club if I can buy some from them? Would he be able to order me some?

Also, I'm going to attach a picture, this is the bigger pond. Would you suggest clearing it? Farmer is happy for me to do anything as is very laid back. I can probably put hides but probably wouldn't need to as can sit in reeds or under overhanging trees. At the moment the crops would stop me driving over to get it cleared, but hopefully once he starts I can get over there and maybe clear the water from fallen wood and maybe make some room for the ducks? There is also a sewage works close to this and have seen ducks going into that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Harry (Essex)

I wouldn't be eating them ducks if there's sewage nearby. The carcasses will be stinking and it goes through their pores into the flesh. Stagnant ponds and drains with effluent running into them from silage pits are the same. It's hard to beat ducks from fresh water. I wouldn't completely clear pond as the ducks like a bit of cover.

Thanks for the reply.

There is a huge fresh water pond within 50 meters of the biggest pond and the sewage works are about 400 meters away from the smaller pond. And the river is within a mile away?

Is it worth trying and seeing if they do have a smell to them?

Thanks, harry