Ferreting

I always take my Brittany out with me when ferreting, hawking, or shooting.

My old dog who is 9 now marks holes, marks where the ferret is if it has killed and if its not too deep.

If the dog is well trained I don't see it being a problem.

• Like 2

I pinched the wifes cocker when he was 7 or 8 and he marked fine and took to it like a duck to water eager to please.

He had zero training though but if he had been trained and used to a hunting life he would been awesome little chap

11666949715_1b88a478be_c.jpg

12269815004_b3731e4176_c.jpg

• Like 2

an old mate of mine has cockers and he uses them for everything.. including shooting, picking up, ferreting with guns and hawks..they work cover like little hoovers and get anywhere a terrier can get without the added worry of them going to ground. Must admit they never fail to impress me. I love terriers but would never have one over a spaniel for above ground work.

No problem

Spaniels are traditionally steadied and trained with a rabbit pen or in areas with plenty of rabbits to make sure they ignore them completely or are real steady to the stop whistle. So depending what you did with them ferreting or beating they would soon learn the difference.

I have never ferreted with my lab but she naturally marks holes and retrieves any young rabbits she finds when we are out.

Labs by their nature are generally pretty steady , quiet and patient so could be good ferreting dogs , most are pretty soft mouthed so ideal for holding one in the net.

Were Lab x lurchers not really popular back in the seventies and eighties ?

• 5 months later...